HybridZ

Does an EGT gauge warn of detonation?

HeatRaveR

So I've been trying to understand how to interpret an EGT gauge and did a Search on here. I know many people use it to help with tuning AFR's. But what I'm wondering is if the EGT gives any warning of detonation? If so, what reading am I looking for? And if not, is there a more appropriate gauge that does?

No, an EGT gauge will not indicate detonation, but it can show you that detonation is very likey. Under load if you see the temps on the EGT gauge exceed 1400F you're engine is leaning out and will be more prone to detonation. Under load you want to keep the EGTs around 1325 for best power.

A knock sensor will indicate detonation and, although I've never done it, you might be able can mount one on the head or block, provide power to it, and wire the sensor lead to a yellow light on the dash. Depensing on its output voltage, you might have to increase the signal to trigger the light.

No, an EGT gauge will not indicate detonation, but it can show you that detonation is very likey. Under load if you see the temps on the EGT gauge exceed 1400F you're engine is leaning out and will be more prone to detonation. Under load you want to keep the EGTs around 1325 for best power.

Are those temp targets you list based on mounting the thermocouple in one of the runners, or in the collector? While reading around, they say the collector will read hotter, and is an average of all the cylinders. But if I mount it in one of the runners, it would give a better idea of what temp the individual cylinders are at, assuming they're all functioning properly.