HybridZ

Mitsubish Evo VIII intercooler setup questions

280Z Turbo

First of all, what size piping should I have? 2" or 2.25"? I know 2" is better for response, but 2.25" would flow a larger volume.

I am leaning towards 2" because it is easier to work with and because the TB and turbo are both 2".

Here's what I have:

DSCN1399.JPG

DSCN1389.JPG

70's crash bumper removed for easy access.

DSCN1387.JPG

That pipe seems to be at a bad angle for me, but would a 90 degree coupler be okay? I'm not sure if that would even work, I may have no choice but to mod the end tanks.

Where would I go to modify them, though? I don't know anything about welding aluminum so I couldn't do it. How could I make it work?

DSCN1388.JPG

The return pipe to the TB is coming from the passenger side. Notice the aluminum pipe on the end of the J-pipe...I need that 1" bung on there for my Saab recirculation valve. That presents another problem of where can I recirculate it to before the turbo

Also going to need to do something about the stock POV (shim it?) and dump valve.

How do I curve the return pipe around my radiator hose?

DSCN1390.JPG

Passenger side hole.

DSCN1392.JPG

Kind of a tight space...not sure about brackets yet or where to mount them.

DSCN1394.JPG

Will this be okay for an air cleaner position? It's a lot lower than before and I'll have to wrap the 3" pipe around the frame rail and up to the turbo.

I think I may run the oil cooler on the opposite side, but the oil cooler hoses are stiff as hell and I have no way to mount anything. I may go with a custom one, but I can't find a nice small one like the stock 280ZX one.

Also, I have been told that I could mount the oil cooler inside the engine bay, but it would reduce efficiency by about 20%.

DSCN1398.JPG

The Evo I/C itself. The fins on this thing are VERY fragile. Is there anyway to protect them?

i was gonna run a EVO intercooler but i went NPR instead cuz i snagged a deal..

looks very cool... I would use some 90 degree silicone bends for that one..

I'm not sure if those couplers will work, because of the angle of the inlet and outlet. I wish they weren't so expensive!

How did you guys that have done this before figure out which and how many U-bends to buy?

• 2 weeks later...

welcome to fab work.... if you are going to put something in a car that it didn't come with, then you are going to have to cut, bend, and fab the @#$^ out of everything in there. Buy some bends, buy a good sawzal and a bunch of tubing and go to town. There is no easy fix. Sorry!

Should have room for an oil cooler I did

http://www.paper-momo.com/hadesomega/carz/Pictures/Sic16.jpg

yeah that's a pretty shitty turn signal job

here's where I put my filter and AFM

http://www.paper-momo.com/hadesomega/carz/Pictures/Sic19.jpg

but it look like you have something where I have mine, I took my AC compressor out.

I would stay with 2 inch, but it depends on how much boost your planning to boost. More boost bigger pipes.