HybridZ

Do I Have The Wrong GUIDE PLATES?

Guest Mike

I recently pulled the heads on my 350 SBC. Before torquing the 3/8 rocker studs, I noticed that the guide plates have a bit of play... they move around a bit before torquing down the studs. Is this normal? After I tightened the studs, some of the guide plates are pressing against the pushrods. I can adjust the plates to allow free pushrod movement but maybe I have the wrong ones? Maybe the guide plates are for 7/16 studs?

You don't, you check for pushrod clearance and then snug them by hand and try a rocker arm on them and get proper alignment while retaining pushrod clearance. Use a scribe to mark the right position in case it moves when you torque it.

Manley makes and adjustable set of guideplates if worse comes to worse, although I've never had a problem in the past.

JAP TIN... Sorry for the belated reply. I currently have Edelbrock Performer RPM heads unmodifed except for some rudimentary port matching... no polishing.

Eventually I'll have AFR heads.. probably 200cc intake runners on a SBC 406 with forged pistons. Total HP/Torque on the new engine will be ~500/500 at the wheels including 100HP N2O.

Yeah... it's just the initial expense that hurts. I can always transfer them to the new SBC when I get it though. I'm thinking about this and biting my nails........ damn, I have other things I want to do too...... biting to the quick now...... choices.... decisions..... bleeding nails...... ARGH!!

Use the blood to mark the guideplates, that will save money on the Sharpie.

:D:D

If the pushrods clear and the rocker tips are centered with the guideplates centered (usually this is the case), slide the plate down as far as it will go on the studs. Then tighten the left hand stud first, and the right hand stud resists the turning movement and it's a lot easier to keep the plate straight.

If you have to move a plate to the side, you just have to snug, check, tighten a little, check, and finally torque and check again.

John

Yeah... it's just the initial expense that hurts. I can always transfer them to the new SBC when I get it though. I'm thinking about this and biting my nails........ damn, I have other things I want to do too...... biting to the quick now...... choices.... decisions..... bleeding nails...... ARGH!!

Not necessarily, if you go AFR's depending on what head, they have different valve spacing.

Jap Tin says and it's true, shaft rockers are the most dependable system available!

I guess I'll look for a set of shaft rockers then. It seems that I'll be shelling out about 800 bucks unless I can find some cheaper. Any ideas?

DOC... as you know, I'm wanting to have a 406 or 434 stroker built and $800 slows me down a bit. However, if they're really worth the expense, I'm in.

Hey DOC... so it's possible that the shaft-mount rockers I buy for the Performer RPM heads won't fit the AFR's I buy soon?

EDIT: Okay... did a little research. I guess rockers with differeing offsets are needed for various brands of heads. So I suppose it's better to buy the heads at the same time.

DOC... I'm going to wait and do this all at one time.

...if you go AFR's depending on what head, they have different valve spacing.