HybridZ

For you body shop gurus...

Globerunner513

Well here is where i'm at with my car:

• previous paint sanded down w/ 100 grit. (not to bare metal, just roughed up)
  • side-striping holes dented in and filled w/ bondo-glass (yes...i hate to say it but didn't have access to a welder or someone who could weld)
  • windows out. (door windows still in cause i don't wanna mess with it. and i have new weatherstiping for the windshield, rear, and quarter glass)
  • MSA type II airdam installed
  • Rear bumper removed and panel shaved.

So now im ready to start calling body shops to get it painted. I just don't know yet if it will be more cost effective for me to get it to the point where i only need color to be sprayed, or if i should just give it to a shop as is and say "have at it". My only worry with doing the bulk of it myself is that its not gonna turn out right. I've never sprayed primer or anything for that matter before, but am pretty much a perfectionist when it comes to sanding and making sure everything is straight and smooth.

I also found out that the cost for primer alone is gonna be over $200 :eek2:

I'm willing to spend a decent amount on paint, but wasn't expecting that much for primer.

So for you body types out there is it going to be better for me to do the bulk of it myself?

And either way will it be cheaper for me to supply the supplies to a body shop?

Don't know if that helps, but thanks alot!

Do a search for "Maaco" and "Scheib" (Earl Scheib). What I found is that the prep and finish work are the most costly. I'd suggest buying high-quality paint and supplying it to whoever sprays the car. Ask for a discount since they aren't buying the paint. Also, shop around for the best local cheapo paint shop... some do a pretty decent job at spraying. When you fine one that consistently does okay, be sure you ask for the same individual who actually shot the paint... the quality is in the paint and the guy who sprays it. You'll want several coats of clear so you can wet-sand it smooth and leave enough clear so you don't burn through it when it's polished. This is the route I'll be taking... eventually.

I just got my car back from being painted, and I went through pretty much what you are going through right now. I was going to paint the car myself so I purchased the paint, primer, clear etc. finished about 95% of the body work then got sent out of town for a couple of months for work... when I came back I decided to let a pro paint the car and I got a quote then I left town again for work... came back and decided to let the pro finish the last of the body work and do the prep as well. Having him do that more than doubled the price from just spraying the paint. In a nut shell the prep is very expensive.

The other thing I learned from this experiance is that even though I bought good quality paint and primer (very expensive for everything) it was not what he would have choosen to spray himself and even though it worked out just fine he says for the minimal extra cost of the paint etc. that he would have used the results would have been better. I am going to try to take some pictures of mine this eavining and I will post them later tonight or tommorow under their own thread.

Dragonfly