HybridZ

rear axle/brake conversion

i read alot about the rear disc conversion. i have a 77 280z and was looking into converting it to rear disc and front toyota calipers. i think i understand everything for the front conversion, and ill have to see if i truely need the spacer. the rear im still confused. it seems there are a lot of options. i have 2 280zx donor cars. i have yet had time to examine anything on these cars. my question: from what i have gathered, the 280zx caliper/bracket dont just bolt up. but does the rear axle and disc all bolt up? would there be any benefit changing the whole rear axle. i have also gathered that the 280z uses u-joints and the zx uses cv axles?? is that correct? if that doesnt work, im heading to u-pull it this weekend, what caliper/brackets should i look for. i have heard 84-88 maxima...but that there is a lot of customizing to it. what about the 240sx caliper brackets? all i read was about using the 240sx calipers. what caliper brackets should i look for? thanks

doug

:-D You can do the 280ZX disc brake setup on the car. It is mostly a bolt on. You will need a early 280ZX Caliber and a later model disc (small hat version). Then all you have to do is make the mounting bracket (there are several versions on this site) (just do a search on this site for mounting plates designs). I have several designs here if you need them. Just have to look for them. It may take me a little while to find them. I have done a three sided mounting plate and haven't had any problems with it. This way you don't have to remove the half shafts to mount it. Only thing you may need beside the mounting plates are longer bolts to mount it. Good Luck with this. I have had mine on the car for almost ten years and haven't had any problems with them. Just pick out ones (calibers) that are not leaking from the seal areas. To put new pads in them, you have to turn the head back into the piston. Remember to remove the rear brake pressure regulating valve. It is located above the rear drive area, just before the line divider. If I remember I just bent it to gether and reconnected it. :cheers:

is there any older car caliper brackets that will bolt up? how much do you want for the brackets? this is the first time ive heard of the brake regulating valve....is this the same as a proportional valve? why does it need removed. thanks for the reply. i just want to get as much at the junkyard that i can.

doug