HybridZ

Newbie orientation

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Please be patient with me, as I'm sure you hear this sort of thing all the time.

After "restoring" a 77 and a 78 280Z for daily driver purposes, I've decided to go with a SBC V8 for my 71 240Z. I've ordered my JTR handbook. Now, how do I make the most of this forum to learn as much as possible ASAP?

I looked around a bit and found most of the topics too advanced for me. i.e. NO WAY am I going to attempt a 400hp LT1 or LS1. I'm thinking SIMPLE!!!!! My last engine swap was a '61 Corvette engine into a '50 Chev sedan in 1963!!!

Guest Drewz

It sounds like you have enough exper. to handle this job. There are so many poss. questions it is hard to pick a starting spot. Make sure the entire car is sound before any fabbing is started since starting with a sound shell is always the best. All electrical and body/frame should be in good shape or you will be fighting an uphill battle. The rest is gravy! wink.gif

------------------

The only stupid question is one you wanted to ask but never did!!!

http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/andrewzcars

Drewz

The fact that you have done a swap before puts you miles ahead of many others. Just follow the JTR book and pick up a carbed engine (for simplicity) and everything will go just fine. The JTR book has a pretty good layout as far as what to do when. Make a list/plan of what you will do and try to get the timing right. Things will go so much more smoothly and you'll avoid segments of time in which you have "nothing" to do, while you wait for a part to get ordered, etc...

emitch, Welcome!

Read the JTR book a few times. Find out where the holes appear to be, then use the search engine in the forums for the areas you're not clear on. THe JTR book does a good job of getting you started, but there are so many options and details, that the book couldn't cover it all unless it was much thicker.

And of course, if you can't find the answers you want that way, ask away!

Cheers,

Also, take a look at the links on this site.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Also make sure you check out Pete's site for lotsa very good ideas. He has a very detailed write up with solid information. In fact, there are a growing number of guys in this forum with great sites; Pete's is one of the best IMO smile.gif

David