HybridZ

TURBOCHARGED V8 280Z.........pics & ?

• 2 months later...

The purple car is Barney, the guy that helped me with my ride its waiting on the new LSX block to show up so he stuff it in there. Its backhalfed and caged up ready for 7s. Im sure well drink many of beers hanging over the fender of it this year, my car was last years project. As for my car its doing great, 12psi, 30* locked out, plugs gaped at 20 { due to the E-85 }, the carb works great. It took a while to get it there but its there now, E-85 in my motor=a little finiky to the temp changes here in texas but i have notes going so its easy to tune now. Man its fast............ thats all i can say till i get to the track and get some time slips, trying not to be the guy that runs 10s but has never been to the track.........lol. Trying to get a camcorder so i can get some more vids of it,going to get one for this weekend and go cruz, ill post them next week. Any ?s please ask. PS if you are building a new feul system for your hotrod use E-85, its the greatest thing since keg beer. :icon6:

Say jnjdragracing, i noticed your pic and looked at your site, stock rearend................man dude tell me the way Yoda, im shotin for 800wrh in 2008, your pushin 600-800 with that blower im guessing so you got my hopes up. I see some CVD of course but im thinking you got more than that too it................... let me in on the secret and save me a couple of grand.......................lol, any advice would be great, bad ass car BTW, hoping i can see the sky in my Z at the track in the years to come.

The purple car is Barney, the guy that helped me with my ride its waiting on the new LSX block to show up so he stuff it in there.

Is that "thing" here in Austin? :eek:

I'm also waiting for an LSX to show up for my Z... ordered it in Oct. :lol: I'm only putting an 8.50 cert cage in mine though. :o Edit: what price should I expect for a set of headers like that? My turbo's going in the same place and we're planning on that style/routing setup. :cool: They are gorgeous. :yum:

• 4 weeks later...

Holy chit man, its a full time job tryin to get something from a old VHS camcorder to a computer, hopefully it works for you guys, didnt work on my home computer but it did for the one at work, take a look if you like. http://videos.streetfire.net/search/turbo+v8+280z/0/d6167002-8eba-4529-a7e0-990a00e47762.htm Im being told that the sound dose not work, i will see if i can fix it. Think it has sound know, if not let me know.

Kechup,

Nice pics. What size is your exhaust? I was thinking of running a 4" from turbo back and two 2 1/2's to the turbo. Does your hood clear the EV bonnet? And did you do the carb yourself or have CSU help out. How is it from idle to when it spools up? I've read of guys having problems with it being to rich and then to lean at boost due to how differently boost comes on with a turbo compared to a supercharger. But Csu puts a boost sensitive power-valve in that makes the a/r level out. You know your intake temps with the intercooler? Sorry for all the questions. I'm just waiting on my motor to get back from being cooked and still have to fly cut the pistons for the vavles. But once summer comes and I have more time to work on my zx then there will be another turbo z w/ a mpt70. To bad it will be like yours almost. I'll have to think of something different like sticking the turbo through the hood to make it look like one of those hot wheels cars my nephew has. LOL.

Thanks,

Dustin

I have a dump right at the turbo, i dont care bout exhaust. I had to cut my hood just a tad, 7" round hole for my bonnet and a 10"x2" for my inter cooler pipe. The carb was easy to mod, tune took a month or so and yes i had a lean spike but i worked it out, i have a flat 12.4 AFR when i stomp on it now.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
plugs gaped at 20 { due to the E-85 } E-85 in my motor=a little finiky to the temp changes here in texas but i have notes going PS if you are building a new feul system for your hotrod use E-85, its the greatest thing since keg beer. :icon6:

I ran into this beauty of a thread doing a google search for sbc's running e85. I'm in the planning stages of a 350 into 280ZX swap. Little did I expect to find a member right here, and even "just down the road" who had the same idea :D

What special considerations did you make for the e85? Surely not just carb jetting and spark gap? Whats the deal with the spark gap, I've never heard of that being adjusted for e85. Are you using the stock 280ZX fuel tank? Its my understanding that these old style iron are particularly succeptible to corrosion caused by oxidation or water buildup or something in the e85. 280ZX succeptible to corrosion?! Ha! who would have ever guessed... (Goes out and kicks a hole through his rusty floorboards.)

How much more boost are you able to run with the E85? I'd thinkit should really cool down your air charge.

Whats up guys, no time slips yet, the only person i know with a trailer sold it in march and theres no track for at least a 1 hour away. No filter just some window screen, it only sees the street on saturday nights. The fuel pump is a A1000 Aeromotive and has been used on many turbo carbed and injected cars. The mods to E85 are not all that great, 30% more everything, they got 1000HP out of a turbo mustang with injectors on E85 and theres a great read on Turbo Mustangs site. The E85 was having a hard time firing when the temp got cold here in TX, mid 40s and it had a hard time starting and reving. I had started with a 28 plug gap but ended up at 20, alot of peeps get away with 28 gap with gas so thats were i started. The boost and my small heads has alot to do with that gap aswell but after closing it to 20 it woke up, just a guess that i had made. Its getting a cage this winter and a new motor after that. I have read that E85 eats the varnish that gas leaves in your tank and fuel lines, then it ends up in your carb or injectors, I had to run new fuel lines anyways so i went with a fresh fuel system.