HybridZ

painting question, just surface primer than paint ok?

love-my-V8-280Z

I removed all the old paint than fine sanded the car, than I applied a high build surface primer straight to the bare metal.. I have been working on my car for several years and it has been sitting with most of the body work done.

I'm getting ready to finish up and paint it.

Well now it seems I have learned that I should have used a expoxy primer than a surface primer.

I would think I asked this question a long time ago but do not remember, Will my final paint job be ok?

Yes you should have primed with a etching primer first, but some primer surfacers can be used as both etching and surfacing...even though there is always a seperate one recommended by most paint comps....It comes down to how good of a primer you used...if it was like ppg's k-36...you prob will not see any problems...if you used the cheap stuff and it has been sitting for a while...that stuff is very porse and will let the humidity oxidize your steel through the primer..and could cause some adhesion problems in the future....Most people will tell you the way to go is a etching primer first, surfacer next, then a siller and then the top coats...All of these have a window to put them on after each other unless you sand before your next step...I would say it is for sure a gamble..sorry...hope this helps

I removed all the old paint than fine sanded the car, than I applied a high build surface primer straight to the bare metal.. I have been working on my car for several years and it has been sitting with most of the body work done.

I'm getting ready to finish up and paint it.

Well now it seems I have learned that I should have used a expoxy primer than a surface primer.

I would think I asked this question a long time ago but do not remember, Will my final paint job be ok?

I did the same thing. It was my first paint job so I got most of my advice from a nice guy that owned the paint shop I bought paint from. Did that make sence? ha, anyway I did all dents/ body filler onto straight metal then shot 2 thick coats of surface primer. sanded that smooth with 400, then 600. Shot the first coat of paint and messed up bad. My gun was set incorrectly, my speed was too slow/ fast in places, and my gun distance was wrong. However, it was kinda good because I then let it dry and sanded it smooth again withot breaking into the primer.

I got more tips, read somemore articles on how to spary the paint and did it again. Shot 4 coats of single stage paint, let it cure then sanded it with 1200, and then 2000. Then rubbed it out with 3m's "tan" compound and finished it off with Mgueires (I cant spell) Gold wax.

I think for the lack of time I spent, lack of knowledge, and a single stage paint, My paint job came out good. Now the real test is in the long run to see how my paint will stand up to all the elements, But im here in sunny CA so not too worried.

I hope this kinda brings some confidence to your game because I was freaked out the entire time thinking that my piant was gonna come out crappy. I'll post some pix.