HybridZ

disc brake conversion from arizona zcar

Guest JESTER3798

Guest JESTER3798

dave at arizona zcar just quoted me 1600 bucks for both front and rear brake calipers and rotors with prop. valves and rear brackets. basically everything i need except master cylinder. my question is: is this a fair price or can i do better for quality components.

tia

ryan

I'm wondering why you haven't checked out Mike/SCCA's big brake conversions. He makes some serious stopping power! Check them out in the Hybridz store on the main page.

Jamie

to fairly compare AZZ prices i would need to know what exactly you are getting for $1600.

is this all 4 lug or 5?

how large OD are the rotors 11.5" 12.2" or ?

what is the rotor thickness .81, 1.0 or 1.25"

what calipers dynalite or superlite, billet or cast alum type?

are the rears vented or solid rotor?

(ebrake is not included i assume)

the last pic i saw of AZZ stuff (his new setup) shows a LITE duty rotor with Z's cut into it as a pattern.. nifty but ?? this is not a HD coleman piece.. look at the thickness of the vanes and compare to what blkmgk or mikelly have.. also i dont think those are curved vane either??

just want to compare apples to apples...

those fronts AS pictured are $1200

i believe the total was $1305 and that included custom braided lines and a proportioning valve..

thats $1100 for the brake setup with hubs and all necessary bolts and such..

$100 for the x-drill option

$60 pr of lines

$45 prop valve

comes with all you need to install on a z strut..

all you need is coilovers and 5 lug rims..

x-drill is a personal preference.. they just give it a different look.. icon_cool.gif

oh i forgot about the rear part.

depends if you want ebrake or not and solid or vented rear rotor and and and.....

get my point? there are more combinations for the rear than the front..

Guest Anonymous

Are those commercial X-drilled rotors, or custom drilled "standard rotors", as it can be quite dangerous to drill a standard rotor that is not designed to be. Any high temprature fluctuations can cause severe cracking, especially bad if your driving at the time. And i have seen it happen!

the rotors are coleman racing units. they make probably the best race rotors locally ..local being the US..

i believe that they make most of the nascar stuff and build rotors up to 15" diam now..

so how big do you want to go? icon_eek.gif

14" x1.3" thick curved vane x-drilled and you must have 17+ rims then...

i've seen lots of rotors crack.. usually its when a oem rotor is drilled-- your lucky to get a year out of it ON THE STREET,, it wouldnt last a day on the track.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, those are my brakes posted above... so far I gave SCCA the $1305 for what you see up there. I have ordered new seals and bearings ( inner and outter ) new grease caps washer and nuts for the 280Z spindles. that ran $107 with a 20% discount from my local Nissan dealer. I have the Hats and 5 Lug Hub along with the coilover caps in the shop getting polished ( 3 plus weeks wait and $110 dollars later ) when I get them back I will powder coat them Translucent blue on the alum parts and the hubs I will use a almost chrome undercoating the the Translucent Blue on them also. Today I will do all the other hardware while I am doing a test on my spare front bummper now that I have my Infrared Curing Light... I can now do big parts like drive shafts, my Corvete IRS, Rack and many other front end parts. Hum maybe the bottom on the car someday!

Hey Mike you got instructions on taking the Outlaw Calipers a part? Still thinking about having them polished and then powder coating them also! BTW still waiting on the Prop valve and that one washer! I send ya email about that one...

So far I have about $1600 tied up in the brakes on the front. I plan on staying with the 11.5" x .81" Vete rotors and calipers on the rear so I don't loose my ebrakes...

I would have posted that pic and others but I never had luck with hyperlinks on my RoadRunner site. Guess I should update my lame homepage... But you know how that goes after working on computers all day the last thing I want to do is come home and work on that... If you know what I mean...

Z U V8ter