HybridZ

N42 L28 questions....

rchrd989

Heres whats going on, I have a L28 that I bought a little while back that I was gonna put in my 240z with a E88 head. The guy i bought it from was some punk kid about my age who had a bunch of Z parts. He said his uncle rebuilt it 40,000 miles ago, so getting the motor for $150 seemed like a good deal. Well lately Ive been looking more and more at the motor, looking at the cylinders and seeing no satching left at all... the pistons are nice and black but I decide that Im going to rebuild it anyway because of the cylinders being so smooth. I take out piston number 6 and one of the rings is completly broken in half. I bring it to the bench and grab my measuring calliper. I read in my "How to rebuild your nissan and datsun OHC engine" book that the L28 has a 3.386" bore. Well I go measure my cylinder and it measures to be 3.412 and the piston measures at 3.396 Also the pistons are completly flat, they are not like the pistons I pulled out of my L24. Could you guys help me out? Am i dealing with stock 280z stuff or am I dealing with more, I really need to know so I can order some parts...

Thanks guys

Richard

Given the measurements you'r talking about it looks like it a .026 overbore with flat top pistons. I'm not sure baout those bore sizes. 86mm (metric size of the cylinder) converts to 3.3884", which is only slightly higher than what the book says, but that would also leave the pistons too large for a stock bore, but barely. The might be after market flat tops meant for an overbore. Of course they could even be advance auto parts specials which means you're still looking at a shooting match as to what they really are. Are there any marking on the pistons? Casting numbers, manufacturers initial, part number? Anything? You're not dealing with stock, but that doens't mean it's performance either.

So I looked in my conversion table and .75 is equal to .03 and 3.412 minus 3.386 is equal to .026 like you said. So im going to be needing new rings, where would you guys reccomend getting rings at, Ive looked all over online and i only can find .02 rings and .04 rings... where should I look, ive looked all over

thanks, Richard

Will do, As of right now I have the motor almost completly torn down, I have everything removed other than the crankshaft, I can get all of the caps off except for the rear main seal cap and the main cap, I dont have a puller that works but Im going to try and make one tomorow our of some flat steel and some bolts :icon14: