HybridZ

Tach signal flips out @ 4000 RPM. WTF?

Gavin

Just upgraded to MSII on my 99% stock 280z wired up with a 2.2 board, fuel only, using the - side of the coil for triggering.

Moved the tables over and everything AFR related works great, but at 4k RPM my tach signal flips out. It doesnt just oscilate back and forth, it seems to completely loose the signal. I'm not using any resistors in the line. What could be causing this and what could I try to fix it?

Oh no its not my tachometer in the dash thats giving me trouble, its the tach signal to MS. I can see this happening on the gauge in MegaTune and the engine pretty much stops firing after 4000.

But yes all ignition system wiring is stock except for the MS being tapped into the -.

So should I maybe try adding resistors to the tach wire? I'm no electrical engineer so I need some help here, no idea what to do.

So it is the same v2.2 board that you we using before, right? And you are just trying to get MSII working in a fuel-only mode for starters, correct?

The MSII may be more sensitive to noise on the tach input signal for some reason. I need to take a look at the schematic. PM me, I'm in NH.

Gavin,

I'm surprised that it ran at without the Dave cap. My fuel only installations where you are triggering off the minus terminal of the coil always required the Dave cap.

We should hook up sometime. My cars are in for the winter, but you can still come by sometime. We typically have "work on the club car" days in the winter at my house. You are always welcome (no, you don't have to work, unless you want to).

When I get the dyno again for a day, we should get your car on it. Probably won't do another dyno day until spring.

Ya its starange, I was familiar with the dave cap, but somehow it didnt give me any trouble with the MSI.

My Dad works on exit 1, so its not really out of the way. I'll keep my eye on the club board. I'd love to work on the club car. Also, that dyno, its a DynaPack isnt it? I actualy have a bunch of experience tuning on steady-state dynos through the full EFI University certification course, so perhaps I could help out there as well.

I work through HolyRoller Dyno. They have a Dynapack, which is an incredible piece of test equipment. It's just a matter of getting together enough cars that need tuning, to make it worth their while. It's portable, so they can bring it anywhere.