HybridZ

Engine / Transmission Cooling

Guest Mike

Yes, I searched:wink:

GIVEN:

1.260Z with 350 SBC (~350 flywheel HP plus 100 HP N2O)

2.TH350 (soon to be a built 200R4)

3.Radiator recommended by JTR w/ integrated transmission cooler

4.I don't overheat even in 100 degree weather. However, it does run a bit warmer than I want it to... maybe 200 degrees max.

5. I'll be adding supplemental trans & engine oil coolers w/ integrated fans.

QUESTIONS:

1. Can I / should I clean out the trans cooler that's integrated in the rad, then route the engine oil through that line? Since the rad's function is to cool the engine, it seems like a logical thing to do.

2. Will a small but efficient outboard cooler (9x12 plate type) with integrated 590 CFM fan be sufficient to cool a 200R4 without the need to run the lines through the rad?

EDIT: I'm not opposed to purchasing an aluminum radiator but have delayed due to JTR recommendations that my current rad is the best compromise for a daily driver. Yes... I know there's a lot of discussion about this but, since the aluminum rads have no integrated oil coolers, it may make a difference in your replies to my posted questions.

IMHO...

Most in radiator trans coolers are too small to flow engine oil properly. Keep the trans cooler in radiator and just add an additional tranny cooler after the cooler in the radiator. Add a small oil cooler in front of your radiator.

I have lots of room in the nose of this Alph1 1. In fact, I'm thinking of mounting the supplemental cooler(s) in the nose to the far sides placed behind the two ~4 inch holes that were originally designed for fog lights. This will provide some air flow especially at speed. I can mount small grills behind the holes to prevent pebble damage and the catch bugs. What do you think?