HybridZ

Building a 383 stroker

Guest Locutus

Guest Locutus

I know it uses a different crank, different rods and 30 over pistons, but what else is involved in building a 383, is there anything special that needs to be done to the block, to the heads. I have heard alot of good things about a 383 and TPI, but I have to evaluate the cost, I already have the pistons(TRW 2256f 030 flat tops with valve reliefs)as they are in the current engine and have less than 500 miles on them. What would you experienced guys recomend?

Mike

Guest RON JONES

The pin height on the pistons is different as well,so you can't use the ones you have.I have a place out here in CT. called Pop engineering that sells a complete 383 stroker kit for $900.It includes pistons(KB),rods,crank,bearings,rings,harmonic balancer,flexplate and the assembly is balanced.This is a very good deal.All parts a new in the box's.The crank and rods are from Eagle.I bought one of these kits for my truck,and it runs great.If your interested,I can get the phone # for them.You wouldn't have to do anything to the heads.In some cases you do need clearance the block,and the rods also need to be ground down a little to clear the cam,again this not always needed.I didn't have to grind the rods in my motor,but I did have the block clearanced while My brother did the rest of the machine work(free),just to be safe.

[This message has been edited by RON JONES (edited March 11, 2001).]

Ron, when I'm not dreaming about putting a NASCAR 4.3 in my Z wink.gif I'm dreaming about a 383. Sounds like a great deal. What is the CR of the pistons with what cc head? Post the phone number, please. You just never know.

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited March 11, 2001).]

Guest RON JONES

CR w/64cc is 10.9,CR w/76cc is 9.6.I have to look around for the #,I going to look in the arcives,I did post it on a while back for Mikelly.

Guest Locutus

the model numbers on my pistons seem to be listed in a few 383 kits they sell at various places online, could it be this motor is already a 383 and the guy just didn't know what he had? How can you tell the difference with out tearing the engine all the way apart, I have the heads off but not the pan, basically its a short block at the moment. If that it is already a 383 I may be the luckiest man alive.

Mike

Guest RON JONES

Mike measure how far down a piston is when its all the way down in the bore.A 350's stroke is 3.48" and a 383 is 3.75".It could be a piston that is for a 350 w/6" rod.If you used that piston in a 383 w/5.7" rod,it would work,but the piston would be .030(probably more) in the hole at TDC.Thats a little on the high side,so if you decked it .020 to .025,yes the same piston could be used in both motors,if it is a 350 piston for a 6"rod.

Also, say one had a new 10105123 350 bare block. Would you be losing that much hp if you left the original 4" bore and ended up with a 377 ci? KB makes a standard piston w/correct pin offset. I'd like the idea of having a another rebuild with the additions of .030s someday.

JS

Guest RON JONES

I don't think you would be losing anything you would notice.You also wouldn't have to pay to have it bored.Hmmmmm,I wonder if John has nice fresh standard bore 350 block in His garage.