HybridZ

The 9 inch ford install thread

dr_hunt

Ok guys, this is an attempt to put together the different ways of installing a 9 inch or any other solid axle under your z.

The boys z has ladder bars and is not tubbed, still has factory frame rails and is a 260z. I'm not sure how this will apply to other z's but I'm sure it can be done. I'm working on the drafting in ACAD to put it into a pdf format and will post that when it's done.

I'd like all others that have put a live axle to input pictures, description and measurements into this thread so that we can add it to the differential info.

This z has the rear strut towers shaved as can be seen in the below photo, however I don't think that is necessary.

________________________________________________________________________________

PB100124.JPG

PB100123.JPG

Ok, so this car also has the 4 inch channel frame reinforcement, which is key to a ladder bar install.

PB100122.JPG

So in this case the ladder bar is attached via a bolt through that 4 inch channel and the stock z frame with a grade 8, 5/8" bolt. Nut is on the other side of the 4 inch channel and is spot welded to the channel.

The floorpan is windowed to allow clearance of the ladder bar for movement throughout the range of motion of the rear end. Inside the car and under the seat that "window" is boxed in with 1/8" plate steel to the bulkhead behind the seat so it's completely isolated outside the car.

This car is sans the wheel well and stock gast tank, but it does have a fuel cell instead. I'll edit this as soon as I get the axle flange to flange dimension off that car and some pic's of the coil over shocks and that mount.

________________________________________________________________________________

In a tubbed car rytherwr used the following dimensions;

axle length flange to flange 46.5 inches

BS of wheels 5.5 inches

29x17x15 M&H tires with 13" of actual tread witdth.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Some Links http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=2121

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f127/bjhines/V8%20240Z%20project/roll%

Not sure if mine will be helpful to many, but here is what I did:

http://www.geocities.com/boodlefoof/Project_Racer-Zsuspension4.html

The rear track width is going to be about 62''. The rear axle housing is 59'' from end to end using late big Ford housing ends and a centered pinion.

Good info, but this is what I get when I click your link

"Sorry, this GeoCities site is currently unavailable."