HybridZ

I got another Hood!

Bartman

Bartman,

Can you email me a close up picture of the hood mounted to the hinges? I just went and tried to pull up on my hood and I get a little bit of movement due to hinge "sloppyness". It only moves about 1/16". The missing hood springs should not be causing the problem since they are only for holding the hood up. I don't have my springs in either.

Sure, I'll get some picture later today or tomorrow.

Thanks.

Here's a couple of pic's to show what I'm talking about. The first picture is of the hood pushed down. The gap looks pretty good (there's a small dent in the fender just behind the headlight bucket and next to the hood, so the fender is a little low there). The second picture is after driving for a while, you can see a considerable gap now. It goes away if I push the hood down.

DSCF3269.JPG

DSCF3272.JPG

Can you send pictures of how it is actually mounted to the hinges? I am wondering if the holes are slotted or not. Can you tell if the hinges have extra play in them?
I slotted the holes for for and aft adjustment similar to the stock hood. I've been playing around with it, and it still looks like the movement is in the hinge assembly itself.

DSCF3273_thumb.JPG

It appears that the hinge goes down farther then it normally likes to sit. I readjusted the hinge so that everything lines up properly with the hinge sitting in it's normal riding position. Raising and lowering the hood as well as driving the hood stays lined up. You could push down on the hood around the hinge area and have the hood too low, but it will eventually come back up to it's normal position.

I don't know exactly why the hinge works the way it does, but I would imagine it has something to do with the hinge on the other side. When the hinge on the drivers side is pushed all the way down it is probably a little lower than the hinge on the passenger side. With the hood installed the rigidity of the hood will probably even out the position of the hinges. Well, at least it's a theory.

I think you might be on to something, I noticed in one of you pictures that you might not have the stock core support configuration. On my cars the upright on the core support was trimmed to support the hood from being able to be pushed down too far.

Now that you have it set under normal conditions maybe you can add a bumper to keep it from pushing down.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 280ZForce

woo hoo...i'm gonna have an SS style cowl induction hood to be a lil different.

Thanks Bart for showing me the beast of a Z you have (which sounds bad ass), can't wait to hear it actually going and maybe get a ride in it. Also for giving me the inside on the hood and being honest about it. Makes it a great transaction since we live in the same city and only 11 miles apart.

Always fun to talk Z cars and throw around ideas.

What did you and your daughter think my ol' yeller when I left?

woo hoo...i'm gonna have an SS style cowl induction hood to be a lil different.

Thanks Bart for showing me the beast of a Z you have (which sounds bad ass), can't wait to hear it actually going and maybe get a ride in it. Also for giving me the inside on the hood and being honest about it. Makes it a great transaction since we live in the same city and only 11 miles apart.

Always fun to talk Z cars and throw around ideas.

What did you and your daughter think my ol' yeller when I left?

Good meeting you and Daniel and talking about our beloved Z's.

Juliette was pretty excited about that exit, she won't forget that for quite a while...if ever. I thought it was pretty cool as well, and your car has a pretty wake up the dead bad ass sound as well.

I need about a half dozen or more Z's so that I can have a stroker turbo, RB26DETT, SR20, dual turbo V8, V12 BMW, V10 Viper, etc; I like 'em all.