HybridZ

350 swap, which manual trans to use?

Guest IA73240Z

Welcome to Hybrid Z!

The T-5 is a commonly used tranny for V8 swaps. It's small, affordable, and available. The hydraulic clutch requires a different master cylinder, but they're available from a variety of sources, such as Tilton. Factory T-5's aren't capable of handling a strong-running motor - I'd guess anything over 300 ft-lbs - for long, depending of course on how you drive. I've used up two. If you can get a T56, though, spend the extra money.

Now, let me say that everyone at Hybrid Z is glad you've come by to ask some questions - that's why we all hang out here, to help guys who are trying to get started in a very interesting project. Seriously, it's a fun way to spend some hours, helping somebody work out the details. However, you might imagine that such questions have been asked before - some of them many, many times! For that reason, "newbys" are generally pointed in the direction of a few very, very important resources that will make their lives easier, lower the bandwidth on this site, and increase the quality of all discussions.

First, The Book. I'm referring to the "Datsun Z Car V-8 Conversion Manual" by JTR. http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html . It's generally considered the Bible of these swaps. Whether you're a total beginner, or an experienced semi-pro, it'll help you figure out "where you stand" with a swap (of any kind), what you'll need to think about, and what you'll have to spend (time as well as money) to get it done. Consider it mandatory.

Second, the site here has an excellent "search" function. At the top of this very page you're reading, you'll see (in the top half of the blue bar) shortcuts of various kinds - "User CP", "FAQ", "Member List", so on over to "Search". Clicking on Search will give you two options: an immediate global search just by entering text into the popdown field, or an Advance search page where you can specify much more detail. This is very important: many members have seen some questions asked *hundreds* of times, and can get a little impatient with new users who don't use the Search function.

Finally, on the forum "Index" page is an entry "FAQs". Inside you'll find a variety of articles on everything from transmissions to wiring. Very, very useful, and a huge time-saver for you (and me!). Check it out.

So get ready to do some reading! There's plenty of information here, and there are plenty of very helpful members. Try to "get up to speed" as quickly as possible we'll have in your hybrid by spring!

One thing to think about is the overdrive, and the need for it. I have a 327 in my Z , with a BW 4 speed. The rear end ratio, according to the pile of receipts I got with the car, is the rare 3.15 R200. My car is already in 4th gear at the end of the on ramp of the freeway. There is no way my current plans for a more modern engine will be stuck with the 1:1 tranny ratio. I really hate having that "I'm revving to high, and want to shift" feeling. Reminds me of seeing old school muscle cars on the freeway, and they are putting along at 70 mph, while all the housewives are passing them at 80 mph in modern cars.

Begs the question: what should the tach read on a v8 Z on the freeway, at 75 mph ? How about at 160 ?

-Les

Well, the 160 is at the local dry lake bed, of course!:D

How about the 75 on the freeway? Blue hair ladies passing the grey haired old skool dudes in the V8 Z's ?:wink:

No sane HybridZ member would go that fast on a freeway and if he had would post that on the internet. :nono:

LARRY