HybridZ

Introduction and some questions

Speed_Fanatic

Hello everyone, i've lurked or shadowed this site for over a year just picking up random bits of knowledge here and there about the RB community but never really took the L series section and gave it the attention it deserved becuase i finnally just came into the realm of the L28E and L28ET and i love them both. Reason i watched the RB forum so often is becuase i have an RB25DET powered 240sx that i built myself

DSC09115.jpg

RB25DETJUNE.jpg

So here is a bit of progress starting with the day i picked it up about two weeks ago to now.

DSC00096-1.jpg

DSC00095.jpg

Bra's are not your friend or the paints friend...

Here's why.

DSC00105.jpg

Notice rust and paint discoloration on the front.

Z31ns1302.jpg

Me and Rob

DSC00099.jpg

Dirty

DSC00101-1.jpg

Clean

DSC00130.jpg

Spare Intake installed

DSC00136.jpg

Bra Damage

DSC00133.jpg

Sanded

DSC00139.jpg

Some first attempts at bondo, which doesnt like cold very well....

DSC00140.jpg

Wet paint!

2.jpg

Painted the rims

3.jpg

Louvers off!

My plans for this car is to turbocharge the existing motor since it has a higher compression than the turbo motor, but just as strong.

All i need to do the swap is a few Z31 components and to swap every thing off my wrecked turbo parts car.

The few questions i've had about my whole plan is, do these motors l28e and l28et differ much from the block? As in Rods/Bearings/Crank? I know the pistons differ as to compression, but i had planned on boosting the l28e instead becuase of the higher compression and running the Z31 ECU/MAF/DIZZY/CAS swap with it.

The L28ET is in a wrecked 1981 280zxt

The L28E is obviously the White 1982 5 speed.

Would the power added to the L28E with the turbo be safe for the current transmission or should i search for a T5 borg warner?

Ill edit in more questions if i think of more.

This forum is a really badass place and i hope i enjoy the community now that i have a Z and im active in it.

Welcome to Hybridz...the one stop shop for Datsun Lunacy on the web! LOL!

I love your cars, the RB25 S13 - Two big thumbs up nice clean install and I bet that car goes down the road VERY nicely! Beautiful conversion. The car looks great even with the 14" 6spoke ZX wheels too.

Your ZX is a great machine too. Pity it was not painted white inside the engine compartment when the car was repainted. Bras are useless on cars and women! I had one on my ZX when I bought 6 years ago and it ruined the paint underneath as well. I ended up repainting my hood and front fenders as well. You did a very decent job on the hood repair - excellent.

As an aside there is a thread on Carbon Fiber Hoods for the ZX using the ZXT NACA duct if you go under "Vendor's Forum" its a thread we have signed up on and JohnC is the one getting it done for us - hopefully soon. So I encourage you to sign up, if you want a CF hood.

To answer your questions, you can turbocharge your NA ZX and many people have you will be boost limited but trust me at 8psi it will be on fire!

The NA L28 has the same rods, bearings and crank as the L28ET

The NA B Series tranny will be plenty strong to 400ish hp, depending on your driving style, clutch dumps, burn-outs etc. I actually removed my B-W 5speed and replaced it with a NA 5 speed tranny and my car had an easy 250hp. I'm rebuilding the motor now and looking for much more hp and will still run the same tranny - we'll see how it holds up. There is a great thread about adapting the Z32 Tranny to the L series motor by Garrett - so you may want to do some reading there.

Hope that helps.

BTW...I'm partial to ZX cars especially the white ones....wink:

86310554.jpg

Regards - Yasin

Thanks rusty, thats good info that i needed. I was going to say, even for this tranny, it should be able to hold the amount of power i need. Im not considering making this car a powerhouse because thats what my 240sx is for with the RB25. The Z i just want some more kick becuase i've always wanted a moderately fast turbo 280. I drove my Turbo 81 before my friend totalled it and gave it to me and i loved it even though it had the worst exhuast leak on cylinders 5 and 6, i just cant wait to convert my L28E to T to see how much the upped compression and a bit of a better tune runs.

Ill also go look at the carbon fiber hood becuase i've seen some pretty sick carbon fiber hoods on some S30's before.