HybridZ

found a 75 280z, i have questions

Guest JGoodin86

Guest JGoodin86

I found a 1975 280z. I dont think it has the original motor. The guy that has it didnt think it was, but it says "nissan" on the valve cover, and he thought the original motors said "datsun"

Another thing is that it is carbed. It has all the fuel injection wiring.

Anyways what I wanted to buy it for was a v8 swap, but the motor and tranny is good. So I thought about turbocharging. If i put a p90 or p79 head on it would I need a new wiring harness. O2 sensor? Or can I just us the stock harness?

Thanks

Jacob

On a 75 the valve cover will say Nissan OHC, I dont know of any valve covers that said Datsun. Since the car is 30 years old it is hard to say what year engine you might have, Check the block for a number and the head.

You can read all about turbo'ing a car by searching through the posts here.

Welcome aboard.

I've never seen a Z valve cover that said "Datsun." They've all said "Nissan." A 1975 would have been fuel injected originally.

You're running into something that you're going to find on many Z cars. They're all 30-ish years old and the car is very attractive to modifiers. That's why finding a one-owner 1975 was attractive to me. The owner knew about everything that had been done to the car. Once these cars trade hands a few times you'll find some mysterious "surprises" when you start opening things up.

I have a 75 also and have never seen "Datsun" on the valve cover either. If the guy went carb from FI then he might have had problems with the original system. If the harness is still be good then convert back but you might end up chasing a lot of electrical gremlins on other peoples "creative" wiring. Just do a simple V8 swap or you can go get a j/y turbo motor and get all the essentials and see where that gets you. good luck.

im new to this but im pretty sure that in 75 and maybe 76 datsun did put out some 280s with a carb. again i could be wrong

I resepectfully think you are indeed wrong. The 75 and 76 were fuel injected.

JGoodin86: I believe, as sumo mentioned, it's very likely the a previous owner had problems with the fuel injection and ditched it for the carb setup. The fuel injection on these cars kind of got a bad rap. For an older system, it's actually a pretty good system and can be made to work pretty well. If a turbo is in your future, I would consider an aftermarket engine management system such as mega squirt. If you haven't purchased this car yet, the more important issue is the unibody... rust wise. Crawl under, check the floor pans where the driver and passenger's feet go, the frame rails, the battery tray for rust or signs of cheesy repairs.