HybridZ

Stored engines- how long is too long?

tannji

Hey guys, came across an engine that has been stored since 1999 with almost zero miles. Price looks to be very good, the engine is obviously spotless. I am concerned about the affects of time on rings, seals, and bearings. I have not asked the seller yet if it was stored dry, or in any way "set-up" for storage. What should I be looking for to decide one way or the other? I would imagine that the head is not much of a concern, but I was hoping to initially not have to pull pistons from the block, let alone replace bearings or seals. It is a 4 cylinder, no idea if that matters, other than I have heard that SBC's can damage seals from the weight of the crank if left sitting without being cranked.

Thanks,

tannji

At a minimum I would pull it apart and replace the gaskets and seals and why I was there I would give everything a good once over to make sure it was in good shape. As for rings if they are not gumed up then they should be good to go. And I would at least prelube all of the parts so that when I get ready to start it up there is no metal on metal rubbing. This is what I plan on doing with the corvette LT1 motor I have in, when I am ready to use it.

Just my .02!!

HB280ZT

if it was stored in a dry location it should be fine,especially if it was wrapped up in something like plasitic sheeting, if the price is good jump on it, even if you did need to replace every gasket (unlikely) it would still be a deal

Id squirt a little marvel mystery oil into each spark plug hole and change the oil , adding a full qt of marvel mystery oil to the rockers on both sides and new filter then and only then turn it over thou to prevent rings/valves dragging on dry cylinder walls and valve guides, rockers galling ETC.

Thanks, I was thinking along the lines of what Grumpy posted, just wasnt sure if it was realistic. The pics show a very clean engine, with what looks to be red plastic plugs blocking off lines that would seem to be oil, coolant, and vacuum. The fly in the oinment, and probably the reason it sat in the warehouse so long, is that the intake manifold has a chunk broken off. It would need a new intake, which of course it would be getting anyway. That concerns me as to how the intake took the damage... during an accident, or during removal...

If i can free up some cash (Christmas is complicating this, of course) I think I will grab this engine. It is the cheapest I have ever seen it, and at 300 miles, like I said, the freshest I have seen as well.