HybridZ

Car smokes and eventually cuts out at high rpm

My 383 will start smoking at about 5k in 3rd gear (my final gear) and will cut out anywhere between 5800 and 6500 depending on what it feels like doing. The engine does burn some oil but when it's smoking it smells like fuel (maybe unburned fuel, I don't really know the smell unless that is it, in that case I know it well). I have stock jetting in a Holley Street Avenger 670cfm. I've also read that with my victor jr (single plane) I should probably need a few more jet sizes. I haven't had a chance to go to the track and really jet it and even then couldn't do a whole lot of good because our track is 1/8th mile. I don't really see how it could be rich in stock form. It has 65 primary and 68 secondary jets. CAN YOU BE TOO RICH THAT YOUR ENGINE STUMBLES? It doesn't burn my eyes that I notice when it smokes and it's not just a ton of smoke but it's noticeable so I'm not really sure what's going on. Thanks for any help.

• 3 months later...