HybridZ

5 Lug Z31 Turbo rear disc set

I'm going to swap over to 5 lug in the rear and am wondering offset I will be able to run with the following setup:

Modern Motorsports 240sx rear disc bracket

240sx rear caliper

Z31 turbo rear rotors

Modern Motorsports 5 Lug stub axel (modified 280z version)

Coilovers with 8" tall spring

I'm just curious what backspacing will be with this rear disc setup. I'm going to a short 8" rear spring to gain clearance to move the wheel further inboard.

I haven't measured, but I imagine the backspacing for a disc rear setup is less then that for a drum rear. If so, how much of a difference is there?

Regards,

Justin

If I'm following you correctly, I'd say there is no difference in wheel offset requirements simply because of the disc brake swap, and this issue does not even need to be considered. I say this because the OEM drum pushes the wheel outboard the same amount (or very close to it) as the disc will. The caliper will not extend past the "hat" area of the disc, so this will not have any impact on the spoke clearance, or disc of the wheel, so that is not an issue either, so lets drop that part of the discussion (unless of course I'm not seeing this correctly).

The one thing that will increase the available back spacing is the coil-over springs. I have 5" backspacing with mine (and it could go to 5.5"), but my springs are 10" long. With the ride height of my car, I find that there is no advantage to the shorter 8" coils because the section width of the tire is still very close to the bottom of the spring, and thus will not allow any increased back spacing. For those vehicles that are not as low as mine is, (or with shorter tires) the 8" spring may allow yet another 1/2" more back spacing for a total of 6" of back spacing.

Well, I'm looking to buy a set of 5zigen FN01R wheels. 17X10 et+12 (6" backspacing) front and rear. Depending upon how the 275/40-17R fits, I may be fine without a spacer on the rear.

BTW, I'm running Z31 front hubs, so the front should be ok.

Thanks for the help :)

Justin

From the photo provided, the 6" BS appears to be the maximum you'll achieve, provided you get the spring and seat fully above the tire. I'm sure you could get an even shorter spring than 8", but even at 8", you'll need to investigate coil bind, and how it relates to the specific rate of the spring itself.