HybridZ

Wiring my own fuel pump relay for turbo swap

mikesz

I just finished installing an 83 l28et into my 80 280zx n/a.I want to bypass my original relay and install my own relay.I tapped into the fuel pump harness on the positive behind the seats and ran a single wire to my own relay and left the ground on the harness alone.

To make a long story short.Should i just cut the plug,Run the power from the pump harness to the new relay and just ground the - fuel pump wire.

If anyone can help me out.I would greatly appreciate it.

For a relay you will have to run a constant power, ground, switched power, and a signal. I am assuming you know what prongs on the relay that you are using do what?

Constant - Usually from the + side of the battery.

Switched power - Ignition switch or another source of switched power. Because you are doing a Turbo swap with the turbo wire harness, you would run this to the Blue/red wire that runs out of the ECU. This will control your pump correctly and it will automatically shut the pump off after 5 seconds when the car is not running.

Ground - anywhere on the chassis or - post on the battery

Signal - this wire sends the signal of +12v to what ever your relay is going to run. So this wire will connect to the power side of your fuel pump. No need to cut the whole harness. Be sure you have the power wire that goes to the fuel pump.