HybridZ

butterfly valve type wastegate: where to find one?

OlderThanMe

Well I was reading through Maximum boost for a second time and saw the Turbonetics wastegate that uses a throttle plate instead of a big valve (page 150). Obviously this could have big potential in high flow applications. If I needed to completely bypass a turbo (think sequential turbo setup) and don't want to spend a grand on a big enough wastegate to get the flow I needed this seems like it would be a good idea...

I was also thinking that an exhaust brake from a big diesel truck could work for this application with a modified actuator/wastegate diaphragm to actuate it.

It could be cheaper than a regular wastegatefor the flow I would need for the sequential turbo setup.

I can scan the page for those that don't have the book.

maybe it could be setup sort of like this but thicker steel or stainless:

555-30752.jpg

with a valve on it like this:

DMHONEmedium.jpg

Just delete the motor and put an actuator. The electric motor would not work very well being constantly used. It would probably wear out pretty quickly. The butterfly valve could be of use though.

You would want to build a metal seal so that when the wastegate was closed it would butt against a metal shelf and prevent it from leaking.

Aircraft use that style of wastegate. You can go to an aircraft parts shop and they should be able to help you. They are all pretty large, though. The ones we use are 2.25" wide. Also, be prepared for sticker shock. The last time I checked, an overhauled one was about $1300!!!

Aaron