HybridZ

jim's 73 240z dual purpose car

the plan is for a competative car both on and off the track. this is normally not to hard to do with these cars but that is not my style. got to make it way more difficult.

BODY

new subframe connectors

new floors

stitch weld frame

install fuel cell

8pt cage, (i get kind of stupid sometimes)

AZCar twin turbo fg hood

AZCar whale tail

vortex generators

Betamotorsports fg hatch

lexan windows

msa type 3 front air dam, rear diffuser, side skirts

fg zg flairs

color i am leaning towards is silver w/ blue or black gt stripes

chrome jdm fender mirrors

SUSPENSION / BRAKES / WHEELS

AZCar road race strut assy

AZCar big brake kit 6 piston front, 4 piston rear

AZCar rear swing arms

AZCar bilet control arms

AZCar billet steering knuckles

AZCar Billet diff mout

R200 diff w/ power brute lsd

ENGINE

AZCar froged pistons

l24 rods shot peened

arp bolts

AZCar oil pan

AZCar oil pump

AZCar flywheel

AZCar radiator

AZCar intercooler

AZCar gt40 turbo (planing on 21-24 psi)

Lonewolf intake (custom specs)

Lonewolf port & polish (custom specs)

devils own meth injection

77lb injectors

75mm tb

msII engine management w/ edis

block mods

racegate

godzilla bov

stock exhaust for now, custom later

"Z-GAD" cam

EZ wire harness

INTERIOR

pdk fg dash

autometer ultralite gauges

ultrashield seats

electric heater / defroster

momo wheel

6pt harness

yes AZCar is a few miles from me.

current state of disrepair

12/9/06

sitting on the rotiserie at the side of the house being sand blasted. i wanted to do it my self. fyi, pay some one to do it. would be worth it. i have harvesed used sand and reused but is now a lot of powder. sectioned struts. need to weld race struts together. welded sub frames in but wanted cleaner welds so off to the blaster so that i can see the whole picture. one day i will get back to welding.

jimbo

• 9 months later...

been a while since i replyed to this. life gets in the way sometimes. i have most of the car sandblasted, there is a bit of relestate under the car that i missed.

here is my line to install camber plates

IMG_2066.jpg

IMG_2065.jpg

here is the camber plates installed

IMG_3453.jpg

i had to replace the subframe connectors and frame rails.

azcar suspension and brakes. i had the struts powder coated.

IMG_3455.jpg

IMG_3452.jpg

IMG_3451.jpg

IMG_3456.jpg

i have the lonewolf peformace custom intake. spork did the head work on it as well. flow bench says 220 in at .4" lift on intake. 75mm tb as well and devils own meth kit. the pistons are forged and ceramic coated and dry film lubed. the head is ceramic coated as well. spork had a great deal on turbos. i will let the cat out of the bag on that when i get the car running.:-D:-D

IMG_3460.jpg

IMG_3459.jpg

IMG_3458.jpg

IMG_3457.jpg

IMG_3449.jpg

IMG_3446.jpg

IMG_3447.jpg

IMG_3445.jpg

IMG_3444.jpg

i got a smokin deal on an atl cell. 22gal. i know its big, but that means i do not have to stop as often 36_1_11.gif

IMG_3454.jpg

17x9 fronts and 17x10 rears

IMG_3443.jpg

cage will be going in in a few weeks.

jimbo

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZSYYYYYYYYUS

• 2 months later...

well the cage WAS supoosed to go in the car but after we got all of the tubes cut, we realized that we had the wrong die for the bender. all that meant was that i had more time to tidy things up on the car. i was finishing up some welding in the engine bay and put up the cross member when i found out that the existing frame rails are not centered in the car. the passenger was 1/4" towards the center. so after lots of lasers and strings across the car i have the frame rails cnetered in the car and the cross member centered in the car, except it does not look like it by appearance. trust me, it is. pita. then got the shell primered with the super cheap and crappy hf hvlp spray gun. i really do not care about the way it turned out because it is just for protection while im waiting on other stuff (cage, dzus, hood pins, ect.) here is the drivers side rear suspension mocked up under the car.

IMG_3893.jpg

IMG_3894.jpg

IMG_3895.jpg

IMG_3896.jpg

IMG_3897.jpg

IMG_3898.jpg

those are the road race struts and big brake kit form arizona z car. http://www.arizonazcar.com/

280zone made a hood for me. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=101130 need to get the doors back on (which are now gutted). just need to throw some primer on there and reinstall back on the car so i can put the fenders on so i can put the hood on, in the correct location.

i am scheduled to go back and do the cage work in a week or two. once that is done, i can get to some serious body work.

jimbo

• 1 month later...

well the xmas break allowed me to get some work done. got quite a bit of the clean up welding finished. still have to shave all of the side markers and a few holes in the firewall. here are the updates

IMG_4046.jpg

got the beta fg hatch pinned on, the bottom anyway. got to fab mounts for the top pins.

IMG_4045.jpg

IMG_4051.jpg

IMG_4052.jpg

got the seat rails fabed and the drivers seat installed for cage install. my fat ass in the seat with a sH!t eatin grin. im so happy, it is starting to look like a car again.

IMG_4042.jpg

IMG_4043.jpg

IMG_4049.jpg

IMG_4050.jpg

IMG_4048.jpg

all of the suspension is in. steering rack and steering whell is in. i tell you that az z car stuff is awsome. falls together. love it. i cant wait for the new stuff that dave is working on to come out. seen quite a bit of it and it is tasty. think more billit parts:mrgreen:

IMG_4047.jpg

fuel cell dropped in brackets that i made. still need to make the top straps but the cell is in the car and out of my way.

still no cage yet. something always come up. as soon as i can though, its going in. next big part while the car is still here is the flairs. i recived the nutserts. i just need to get the car off of the jacks and load up the car with a bunch of bags of sand / concrete to load it and mark where i want the flairs. as soon as i get the cage in and cleaned up. i will prime and paint the interior, engine bay, and under car. then run the ezwire harness and start plumbing. need to order a huge fuel pump but money is tight frome the holidays. had to spend the new years at the un-happiest place on earth, dismay land.

IMG_4033.jpg

kids loved it, i hated it. to many people. took over a half hour to get from its a small world to main street at 11:30 at night.

get back to work

untill next time.

jimbo

• 2 weeks later...

more work is done. the car is off of jack stands for a little while. need to set the ride height. will be at 7" from bottom of rockers to ground.

i also weighed the stock hatch and hood. the hatch with glass is 36# and the hood is 34#. the beta fg rear hatch WITHOUT lexan is 9#. i figure a couple of #'s for the lexan. total of maybey 13#'s. the fg hood from 280zone is right at 20#. starting to fab the passenger seat mounts. will have that in this afternoon. finish the wing mounts and start on some body work. i have most of the holes patched up. just a few more to go. still need to mount the zg flairs. good fun to be had by all.

with the weight of the car on the wheels, sthe tires were rubbing against the fenders. i had to cut out the few places out so that it will roll. got the car outside for some fresh air. vac and sweep under the car to get all of the metal shavings and grinder disk dust out of the garage. i was going to get the front air dam installed before the flairs went on but i looked at mikellys closely and saw that his air dam is over the flairs. so on with the show i guess. i still need to add about 100#'s in the back to simulate the fuel and diff. 300#'s in the cabis to simulate me and the trans and other crap. i need about 100#'s more in the front to simulate the engine and other crap in the engine compartment. that should get me close to total car weight. not exact but pretty close. set the ride height and marks where the flairs go.

IMG_4105.jpg

IMG_4106.jpg

IMG_4107.jpg

IMG_4108.jpg

IMG_4115.jpg

IMG_4116.jpg

IMG_4117.jpg

IMG_4118.jpg

here is where i think i am going to put in the fender vents and the hood vents. for the fender vents i will cut along the bold lines and bend up to let the air out. on the hood, i will cut out the solid shaded areas and cover the bottom with a wire mesh to keep some of the crap out. also the scoop portion of the hood will be opened up to try to create a low pressure zone in the hood to evac more air out the back of the cowl. my thoughts anyway.

IMG_4119.jpg

always more work to be done. untill next time, if there is a next time. same bat time, same bat channel.

jimbo

• 3 weeks later...

well, a couple of weeks have gone by and work has been done. ready for the passenger seat to go in. here is the frames for the seat rails. i sit pretty low in the car so lots of head room for the helmet and cage.

IMG_4150.jpg

fender flairs are on and bolted to car. looks pretty mean.

IMG_4174.jpg

IMG_4175.jpg

got all of the side markers shaved as well as the fuel door and the vent at the rear hatch area. the door locks are gone and the side mirror. i decided to leave the door handles on incase of an incident and i am unable to open from the inside that a course worker can open from the out side. good thinkin.

IMG_4179.jpg

IMG_4176.jpg

the hood now opens on the hinges. thanks 280zone for the pics of the hinge so i had a idea of where to mount. those tabs are solid fg so you can put several holes in without to much loss.

IMG_4173.jpg

finally got the wing mounted to the fg hatch. once i got the bases mounted to the hatch, i started to adjust the wing to level. well, with the apr wings, the adjustments is not enough for the slope of the hatch. it will still point the wing up. so i made a new non-adjustable strut to put the wing in position. i took a 3/16" rod and welded it to 1/2" tubing that is cut to fit inside the wing struts. the pipe i just large enough for the apr supplied bolt to go through and there you have it. the apr adjuster bolts are aluminum. i was a little worried about the added weight going to steel, but that aluminum coupler nut weighs quite a bit so it is about equal.

IMG_4177.jpg

IMG_4178.jpg

all in all a fairly productive couple of weeks. the ride height is set, (for now) untill the drivetrain goes in, then i will lift it back up to where it is now. i was hopeing that the msa type III air dam would be closer to the ground for a splitter. i will have to work on that. i have a few more things that i can do before it goes to get the cage in. waiting on $$$$ for a hitch to go on the armada to tow it over. i need to order the dzuz fastners to install the pdk fg dash. i better get on it.

jimbo

• 1 month later...

well, its been a few weeks and i haven't done crap to it. last weekend i did cut the hood vents though. here are the pics. i ended up extending the vent area down a few more inches than what i had tapped out before. the top of the vents are in the same location but the bottom is extended down. marked them with a templet i made on acad and a sharpie and went nuts with the dremel tool. need to sand them down and get rid of some crap, but it is done. the car is finally at the shop for the cage install.

IMG_4394.jpg

IMG_4395.jpg

IMG_4396.jpg

IMG_4397.jpg

i also took apart the motor that came in the car. looked pretty good except for the water passages. i will have to make sure those get really clean.

IMG_4398.jpg

IMG_4399.jpg

IMG_4400.jpg

thats all for now.

jimbo

• 9 months later...

well, its been a while since i last wrote in this.

cage: done

interior paint: done

i finished up bending the bars for the cage at the shop and abd brought it home. i did all the notching in my spare time and got it welded up. once i got that finished, i did the rest of the body work that had to be done before i painted the inside. reason is so that i can drop the motor in and get the car wired up with out the kids bikes scratching it up. i know it will happen once it gets on the street but i would like it to stay somewhat nice untill then. also, i can take my time on the apperance part and the aero part. the roof was a huge pita. but i think its good enough for a good looking race car, not a show car. the camaro looking scoop on the hood, i wanted to make it open and epoxy a alum sheet under neath to try and draw out engine heat. but, after taking it over with my brother who is a aeronautical engineer and car nut, i closed it up. floral foam and fg. the front air dam is a msa type 3 and i have hit a curb or two when it was on my 2+2. so fixing that and makeing things easier to mount the radiator ducting.

the wires are strung out through the car. im using the e-z wireing harness. i will mount it to the fire wall with the relay board and ms2 comp when it gets in. battery box is bolted to the floor behind the passenger seat and the battery cables are run to the front through the master switch.

the brake lines are being bent up at my own pace. that takes a while. looking at the fuel lines, i think i need to wait untill i put the diff up to do the final bending back there. i need to get the lsd into the diff.

the motor goes to the shop tomorrow. block, pistons, rods, damper, clutch, head, flywheel, crank. get it done so i can put that together and into the car.

mean while, i will finish odd and ends. i need to get a new camera since it hit the floor for the last time at a recent b-day party for one of my daughters. sorry. need to charge up the cam corder in the mean time.

jimbo

OK. Got the car off the jack stands to clean out the garage. While it was out might as well get some pics.

cage2.jpg

cage3.jpg

cage4.jpg

cage5.jpg

cage6.jpg

cage7.jpg

cage.jpg

when the sun is up high i can get a good look of the roof. plus i hope to have the fron air dam finished by this week end. the car is lowwwwwwww. i like.

jimbo

• 2 years later...

Well, it has been a long tome since i have updated this. The economy killed me and have not had time to do much going back to school and working multiple jobs. I finished the brake lines, rebuilt the motor, stabbed the motor and transmission in, got the starter and alt on. I mounted the MSII and relay board and I think I have it working mostly right (I think). Started the rewire process and have separate looms for rear body, front body, and engine, so that any trouble shooting will be a little easier.

Then over Memorial weekend, took my 3 girls hiking and somehow tweaked my back to the point that I can not move. Went to the doc for this and routine test and have been diagnosed with Leukemia. Yeah. Found out for sure yesterday, go for bone marrow biopsy today and start chemo this weekend and will be in for 4-5 weeks. The car sat for several years with no work done, i guess it can wait a few more months.

Jimbo