HybridZ

Most power on stock L28 long block?

JustinOlson

I'm going to be turbocharing my factory rebuilt L28 long block in my 77 280z. What is the most people have made on stock pistons and rods? I want to push the stock engine until a piston cracks or something. I feel this ethanol fuel will help a lot with heat management on this counterflow cylinder head.

My game plan:

Custom stainless turbo header.

GT35E .82 a/r (non ball bearing gt35r)

3" turbo back stainless exhaust

12"X18"X4.5" Garrett Bar and Plate intercooler with custom endtanks

Custom intake manifold with larger plenum and radius entry runners

750cc injectors

Bosch 044 fuel pump

E85 pump fuel

25psi

So what do you guys think will fail first on me?

Regards,

Justin

My game plan:

Custom stainless turbo header.

GT35E .82 a/r (non ball bearing gt35r)

3" turbo back stainless exhaust

12"X18"X4.5" Garrett Bar and Plate intercooler with custom endtanks

Custom intake manifold with larger plenum and radius entry runners

750cc injectors

Bosch 044 fuel pump

E85 pump fuel

25psi

So what do you guys think will fail first on me?

Regards,

Justin

Head gasket

I am still running a stock block and head on my car - you will probably want to do a cam, judging by your plans for custom manifolds and the GT35.

I am probably around the limits of the stock pistons, but I have no worries about the rest of the bottom end. I would not worry about rod bolts if you are not going to do anything else in the bottom end. You probably will not be spinning the crap out of it as your power peak will be around 6k.

Doug

A stock Nissan turbo oil pump will suit you fine, and depending on what you are doing with the car, you may or may not need an oil cooler. I have a ZX turbo cooler on my car, and have trouble getting the oil hot enough in regular street driving. I have run with the oil cooler lines looped for a while (no cooler) and had no problems with hot oil at the dragstrip. If you are going to track the car, you will need some type of oil cooler. A smaller plate type will work well, I have heard of people using the stock RX-7 cooler.

Doug

I have an RX-7 oil cooler on my 77 Turbo Z and it works really good. I have ran it on 2 tracks so far, Summit Point and VIR without any problems. As for it cooling the oil to much do not worry. The RX-7 cooler has a built in temp sensor that only opens when the oil hits 180 deg or so. So if the oil is to cold it will not let it flow through the cooler. Also I did modify it a bit by adding 2 10AN fittings in the end tanks so that I can run steel braided lines from the Oil sandwich plate to the cooler.

Now the oil pump should be good to go but I have heard that the turbo one from and automatic car runs more pressure or flow, not sure which it is.

HB280ZT