HybridZ

vg30de ticking

dj paul

Hey guys, im just trying to figure out for a friend of mine what the ticking sound is on his car. its kind of the normal nissan tick so i wasnt to worried about it but it really bugs him. are there vtc's on the vg30de? vtcs are problematic on the VE30de and make the same type of ticking sound and sometimes it even went into a horrible clanking sound but i was positive it wasnt valves or pushrod. the gears just go bad and engage advanced timing at all levels when they are supposed to only engage at higher rpms. im an L series man so im not sure about this one. he asked on our local forums here but there are a bunch of morons wondering about him using the wrong oil and telling him his oil pump is bad before they even knew anything besides a tick. oil pressure is fine on his car. thanks

paul

Guest TeamNissan
Hey guys, im just trying to figure out for a friend of mine what the ticking sound is on his car. its kind of the normal nissan tick so i wasnt to worried about it but it really bugs him. are there vtc's on the vg30de? vtcs are problematic on the VE30de and make the same type of ticking sound and sometimes it even went into a horrible clanking sound but i was positive it wasnt valves or pushrod. the gears just go bad and engage advanced timing at all levels when they are supposed to only engage at higher rpms. im an L series man so im not sure about this one. he asked on our local forums here but there are a bunch of morons wondering about him using the wrong oil and telling him his oil pump is bad before they even knew anything besides a tick. oil pressure is fine on his car. thanks

paul

Is it a high milage engine?

well it only has about 135k but im almost positive, the way it sounds, that its not a detrimental tick. but do any 300zx guys know if theres a timing advance cam gear like in the VE30DE (93-94 maxima SE) because on my VE it ticked horribly. and you can just ground them out and it stops.

Guest TeamNissan
well it only has about 135k but im almost positive, the way it sounds, that its not a detrimental tick. but do any 300zx guys know if theres a timing advance cam gear like in the VE30DE (93-94 maxima SE) because on my VE it ticked horribly. and you can just ground them out and it stops.

I've had both a 90 TT and a 90 n/a 300zx. Both eventualy developed nasty ticks. You cant really tell over the internet what the problem is lol. My advice is to replace the vtc's since thier only a few bucks and clean the inside of the engine out. Sometimes on higher milage z's the heads get all gunked up from burnt old oil.

I have NEVER heard of a timing trick to stop ticking on vgs.