HybridZ

Rear defroster wireing

gretchen/jason

So i dont have a stock wiring harness or any of the componets that came in my 78 280z . I would like the rear defroster to work . I understand there was a timer switch or something at one time under the dash .

If i were to hook it up on a switch just a 12 volt feed to the glass then the other side grounded to the frame just like stock will it work or burn something up .

Jason

another thing you might want to check before you start this is if the defroster painted on the windows is in good working order. You can check for continuity across the two connections with them unplugged but a better test is to create a window fog with ice and hook it up to a battery for a short time just to see if you get a little clearing of the rear window. I figure you should check this first since almost none of the rear defrosters work any more. The paint gets rubbed off with cleaning the windows, age causes it to crack or lose connection and other reasons.

If you can't find a new one, maybe you can find one at a JY. BTW, I'll be removing my hatch/glass soon to install a GTO trunk kit. I'll be selling it once this process is started. I doubt anyone will want to hatch since it's somewhat wavy but the glass is good and I think the defroster still works.

Thanks for the info on the wiring . Id assume a 10 gauge wire would do it . Now my only problem is to find a place that can get me a new rear glass with good defroster lines in it . So far no luck with the auto glass people .

Jason