HybridZ

Throttlebody question

wonderllama

So, I am installing the new 60mm throttlebody onto my 1978 280Z, and I was wondering what everybody else used as a piping from the AFM and the new throttlebody. Obviously, the old duct is too small to fit over the diameter of the new throttlebody intake.

Also, there is a pipe fitting coming out from the old pipe, which I assume is the idle air bypass?, do I need to retro-fit that onto the new pipe? Or is it unnecessary?

I am running the stock fule system, and ECU.

You need to figure out how to connect the idle air valve with the new TB, since the 240SX doesn't have one. The IAV should have one hose that connects upstream of the TB, the other downstream of the TB. Pick up some heater hose and have at it! :)

First off, I have heard back and forth on the fact if it works to give "15 hp" or if it just makes you have to mess with the cold start injector and idle valve?

What I did to do solve the Idle problem was just have an adjustable screw that sets the butterfly barely open to let only a little air in. Havent put it on so I dont know if it works.

I used the MSA TB which had all the fittings on it. You really don't need the fast idle, though, but if you really want to keep it you can plumb into the spacer, or just about anywhere to the manifold after the throttle plate. (the bypass takes air from in front of the throttle blade and bypasses it)....you could probably tee off the PCV valve vacuum, or the brake booster hose.

Just remember if you have any leaks in the fast idle valve you'll have a leak after the AFM, = bad idle.

It's probably best to just not hook the fast idle bypass up and see how much u need it. In florida you will probably find you don't. (You'll probably have the hold the throttle open for a min or so when cold-starting but that's it)

If you need to plug the vent hole in the TB hose a 1989 Grand Prix 3.1L MAT sensor fits perfectly (I found that out during my MS install)