HybridZ

Turbo

Guest VMS280z

Guest VMS280z

Yea.. hey i have a 280z l28 with forged pistons and 3.0 cams and wondering if i can just simply slap on a turbo... ive been reading that im going to have to put zx turbo injectors fuel pump turbo headers and planning on going with t26 ball bearing turbo so any major modifications i have to do?:?:

No, not so much. There is quite a bit of work involved in turbocharging a motor that was originally NA. You will need a new exhaust manifold, fuel pump, injectors, turbo, downpipe, all new exhaust possibly, some form of engine management, the list goes on and on. Just make judicious use of the search button and you will probably find answers to all of your questions. When it comes to info on modding Z's, this site is the best, period.

Also, if you have cams that are designed for a NA application they might not work well with a turbo. Cams have a certain ammount of overlap that is needed depending on the application. Also what compression are you running? High compression and turbos are not fans of each other on a motor without a cross-flow head. There alot of things you might end up changing. Better yet, tell us exactlly what your setup is and we can probably point you in the right direction.

Also, is there really a T-26 turbo? I have heard of the T-25 and T-28 but never a T-26. Plus,. something that small would probably not cut it with the displacement of the L28. Basically you would just be turning your turbo into a massive heat pump. I would assume something along the lines of a T3/T4 would be good, depending on your power goals. Sorry for the long post, I'm bored at work...