HybridZ

Z32 Ls1

Guest FURYZX

I was wondering why everyone puts the t-56 trans, whats wrong with auto? Also why is everybody so stingy on helping with the swapp. I want to do it, but searching just hasn't got me anywhere. Any info. or posts that i could be directed to would help. Thanks guys, also sorry for another z32 ls1 question.

The T56 is a fairly slim package compared to a typical automatic (TH350/700R/4L60E) and esp. the big boys (TH400/4L80E). The V8 BMW crowd has used the T56 almost universally because it fits the E36 chassis with no massaging. It's not a light manual (at 125 pounds) but the narrowness of the case compared to an automatic is significant. Most transmission tunnels need serious rework/fabrication to fit an American-V8-Sized automatic.

125192148-S.jpg

Here's a T56 viewed from the rear, stuffed into the tunnel of a '94 BMW 318is (the 2nd iteration of a BMW LS1 swap we're currently doing). The sound padding has fallen away from the underbody - there's actually several inches of room around this trans, and it can (and will) go higher into the tunnel yet.

The T56 (and esp. the newer T-6550) is also damn near bulletproof (with a few inexpensive updates, namely the 3-4 shift fork) due to its massive internal gear spacing/size/strength. The double overdrive also works out well for lower RPMs cruising and gas mileage (5th is 0.75:1 and 6th is 0.5:1), and the tight gear spacing for 1-4th is great for autocross and track use, too. They can be bought for $500-900 used, as they came in hundreds of thousands of LT1 and LS1 Camaro/Firebirds, GTOs, CTS-Vs, and the like (SSR had one, C5/C6 had them in transaxle form, some others).

What is "Z32" if you don't mind me asking? Does this refer to the later chassis Z cars? I'd love to see how the SBC/LS1 fits into the 350Z bodystyle, if it does so. Or even the 240SX bodystyle, which was a serious candidate for on my "V8 swap dream list" for years. You guys are in Dallas too, eh?

I used to own and race (solo2) in a variety of 240-260Z chassis cars, but never got around to doing a V8 swap into one. They are getting so hard to find now (straight and rust free) and there are other capable swap candidates that are more plentiful, newer, cheaper, with similar or better handling and suspension. Still, I miss those little 240Zs...

I'm from Odessa. I really want to do this swapp, but I need some newer sources, more recent. I love the Z32 style, but I just hate the N/A power. Nice cars guys. I can't wait till mine is like that.

I was wondering why everyone puts the t-56 trans, whats wrong with auto? Also why is everybody so stingy on helping with the swapp. I want to do it, but searching just hasn't got me anywhere. Any info. or posts that i could be directed to would help. Thanks guys, also sorry for another z32 ls1 question.

It's not so much that everyone is stingy, it's just that there are not very many around to swap, and not very many people have done it. It sucks being the first. I'm looking to put a V8 in a Hummer H3, but I haven't found anyone else who has done one.

Yeah I understand. Its just I've seen it done before, and I thought it would be easy to get info. on the swap. Well guess I'll keep researching. I appreciate all your replies.

If you're looking for power out of the Z32...put a vg30dett into it.

I know it's tempting to stuff an eight into the thing. I know I wanted to.

But when it comes down to it, the money you can spend on swapping and modding a TT motor vs. swapping and modding a v8. You'll be able to put down 600whp on the VG motor LOOONG before you can with the 8. And the skin on your knuckles will thank you for years to come.

Oh yeah. That was my first choice, but for one, the maintanence on the tt engine scares me, second having owned a trans am and six speed z28, I know what the ls1 is capable of. Plus I would like something different, not too many ls1 300zx where I'm from. I bet those turbo's feel good though. Oh, the sound to.

You should see the numbers that LS series motors are putting up RELIABLY, normally aspirated and with standard mods (heads, cams). Then add forced induction and it gets ridiculous from a practicality standpoint. Not to knock twin turbo motors. I have one in my Z car, but there are just that many more things to go wrong. I don't drive my car outside the metro area for fear of being stranded if anything broke down. Reliability is the main reason why I'm putting an LS motor in my FD3S.