HybridZ

turbo problems?

datsun280zx81

What is full boost?

Is this an engine and ecu swap? Or just bolted on turbo parts?

Need more info please.

Mario

My boost is set to 7 pounds so when it reaches that amount that is full boost to me. Yes it is an engine and ecu swap. I put a 1983 turbo motor in a 1981 non turbo body and I swapped the ECU. Today I took it out to see if I could figure it out. I just put a new radiator in it, the second one this month. It got destroyed in the exact pattern as the first. It has a large cirlce shape in the center like the fins were sucked in. It has nothing to do with the fan hitting it. I think it might have something to do with my water pump because this is the second time it has happened this time it made my car overheat andsmoke from everywhere including the head gasket. LMK if anybody has any suggestions otherwise I am just going to switch to a V8 and make that turbo with the stuff I have now.

even with a stock swap you still have a bov.? well really it is a pop off valve. about 2" round 1.5" valve screwed in the top of the intake. it has a rubber diaphram in it and maybe it is bad. when you install a bov you need to remove this pop off and plug the hole. you can get a plug in the galvanize pipe plug section at the hardware store. since you are running stock boost you could go ahead and plug it now. a cheap bov from e-bay works fine , got mine for $1.25. just the spring is too stiff. just cut it. i have a cheap 1 and replaced it with a TIAL bov. the tial looks way nicer but seems to work the same and other than the sound I have experianced no other diffs. also rust build up around the waste gate actuator rod could be holding the wastegate open. PB BLASTER works great. or a bad diaphram in the actuator. as for the radiator, check the fan itself. maybe cracks at bottom of the blades [very common]. could be flexing way too much and the next thing that will happen is that it will leave town and take the rad, shroud, and hood with it. learned from experience. hope some of this helps. tc.

Is this the POV in the center of this picture?

57.jpg

It is the clostest thing that matched your description. I am going to remove it, block it off, and replace it with a BOV tomorrow. Same with that EGR thing. I am going to attempt to fix a few problems by replacing the water pump with an electric one and getting an electric fan from motorsport auto. I need to get a new wastegate too. Any suggestions on which one? This is what it did to my radiator BTW. Not the best pic.

60.jpg

ouch! is the rad still holdin h2o? you could still run the oe water pump with no fan and use an electric fan. those electric pumps are espensive.

as for the wastegate, your kindof stuck with the stock set up unless you get an external unit and that will require you to make a new down pipe and adapt to the exhaust manifold somehow. it will need exhaust flow from before the turbo. not cheap. lots of fab work. but if you end up doin it an hks or tial are the only brands to consider. tc.

The radiator still holds water but not for too long. Just long enough to test it. Money is not an object as long as it will fix the problem. I can do this because I have no kids and am not married :-D I just wanted to fix everything that everybody said could be wrong that way I have all of my bases covered. It is either that or tomorrow if this guy answers my e-mail I will have a new second generation 300zx TT. Whichever comes first. Hopefully the 300zx that way I can get my 1000hp car.

The thing in the middle of the picture that you refer to is the Idle Control Valve, I wouldnt get rid of that if i was you!!!

The POV (pop off valve) was the the right of this but has been bunged on your motor already.

I suggest you dont go messing around with things to much if you didn't even know that the thing you referred to was the idle control valve....:-s