HybridZ

Any experience with the MSA bolt-in roll cage?

I know that $549 is kinda expensive and I could probably have one made up and welded for a bit more. I'm just curious whether or not anybody's gone with this kit and what they think. How does it fit? Everything go together okay as opposed to S&W kit? That sort of thing. I couldn't find anything in the archives. Pictures would be great also. Thanks a lot.

Nion,

If this is the full cage (not sure), they fit just OK IMO. I have seen either the MSA one or the Autopower unit (could be the same one) and they are decent. However, from talking to companies like I/O Port racing who carry the Autopower rollcage, they hinted that a weld in cage would be better.

Davy

Guest JAMIE T

I have the Autopower cage in my car, it has been welded in. It's a very nice fit. Do know that it is not as tight of a fit as a custom cage. That is also the same cage that saved Mikelly's bacon a few years ago. He got t-boned by a big truck and bent his Zcar in half. The cage came out of the wreck undamaged, he even had it mangafluxed for cracks. That very same cage is in his white car now, welded in with many more attachment points. I do know that if it is the same one MSA sells, then it attaches to the rear wheel well. From whet I understand, that is not a very strong piece of sheet metal. I have added extra tubes running to the rear of the car. It is also approved for competition by SCCA, and means something.

I'm also curious whether or not it'd be possible to order ONLY the main roll hoop from S&W (since that's the only thing everyone agrees on actually fitting right out of the box) and buying some lengths of tubing locally. We've got a tubing bender, tubing notcher, and a good welder in my auto shop class. Last year we made a 14+ point cage for our drag race Camaro from scratch. Has anyone done this or do you have to order S&W's entire kit?

if you have a tube bender build the whole cage yourself. you may make some mistakes in bends and have to redo that tube but the learning curve will be not that bad

Guest Anonymous

Nion,

I have an MSA rollcage in my Scarab. Looks good, fits very well, however, I am not planning to roll this baby over to find out how well it works. If that happens I can only hope!!!!!!

• 4 years later...
I have the Autopower cage in my car, it has been welded in. It's a very nice fit. Do know that it is not as tight of a fit as a custom cage. That is also the same cage that saved Mikelly's bacon a few years ago. He got t-boned by a big truck and bent his Zcar in half. The cage came out of the wreck undamaged, he even had it mangafluxed for cracks. That very same cage is in his white car now, welded in with many more attachment points. I do know that if it is the same one MSA sells, then it attaches to the rear wheel well. From whet I understand, that is not a very strong piece of sheet metal. I have added extra tubes running to the rear of the car. It is also approved for competition by SCCA, and means something.

Digging up an old post, but do you have any pics of your Autopower cage? I am interested in one for my little Z, but wanted to see one installed first.

Thanks!!