HybridZ

turbos

rdsk8ter

i guess what im getting at how is the piping like the exsaust and intake i see it bolts to the manifold does it carry all the exsaust or just some and how do the bovs go in the system i am a very visual person and i cant find any good pics of that. any would help i did google and looked at the stickys but couldnt understand it

Guest TeamNissan

A turbo is a compressor turbine spun by another turbine thats powered by the exhaust gas. Imagine a 2 fans connected by a rod. The hot side gets bolted to the exhaust manifold so that hot exhaust gas flows through it and in turn out through the exhaust. This in turn spins the compressor turbine which takes the incoming fresh air and compresses it, sends it back out into the intercooler, from the intercooler to the throttlebody and into the engine. That air will then leave after combustion and the cycle starts all over.

Some turbos, usualy smaller ones have a internal wastegate in the hot side which is told to open by a solenoid(That little barrel you seen on the outside of the turbo connected by a rod). This controls the amount of psi the turbo is compressing the air to. When the gate open it slows the rpm of the hot side and in turn the cold side which will then compress the air less. The same is true for a external wastegate only its more reliable at high boost levels.

A bov goes anywhere between the outlet on the cold side and the throttle body but should be as close to the tb as possible to be more accurate. It is designed to be a last defense againt boost spikes and creaping caused by many different reasons I wont get into.

I hope you appreciate this because everyone is probably reading this and thinking I'm a idiot for leaving things out and over simplifying.

Here is a pic of the simplest diagram I could find for you. turbo_sys.jpg

• 2 weeks later...