HybridZ

E88 with n42

a72z4me

Any problems with using an E88 head with oil spray bar on the N42 block,87mm flat top pistons,stock 280 rods,stock crank?I've heard that the stock cam on the L26 E88 head is the biggest of all the stock heads.Also, does anyone know max lift on stock valve springs?

• Administrators

When comparing the STOCK cams, you wont be able to FEEL any power difference between the 280, 260 or 240 cams. There will be WAY more differences either positive or negative in regards to power output with fuel and ignition tuning than there is between the 240, 260, and 280 OE cams. Really, don’t waste your time, energy, gaskets, money, etc on such a swap. The differences are way too subtle to justify the amount of work and money in just the gaskets alone. The energy and money needed would be better used elsewhere such as a lightened flywheel, ignition upgrades, free flowing exhaust etc.

Also, the L-26 E-88 heads, in my not so humble opinion, are not even worth their weight in scrap aluminum, if it is to be used as a bolt on head. Now if the chambers are to be welded up and extensive valve unshrouding and port work is to be performed for an all out performance L-series, then the E-88 is an excellent core, but only in that application, again, that is just my option.

If this engine with the flat top pistons is an L-28, do yourself a huge favor and find either a P-79 or P-90 head and use that. It will be pump gas friendly and those heads perform great as well.