HybridZ

Best suspension setup

Easy question, what is the best suspension setup?

The reason I'm asking is I see that most manufacturers use a link system in the back instead of SLA (audi, nissan 240sx, skyline). I always thought that SLA is the best suspension setup. It seems that a SLA system would fit just as well as a link sustem. So are there benefits to a link setup that I'm not seeing?

Best suspension setup for what type of driving and what car, engine, transmission, etc? I can't help but others will ask this so you might as well answer now;)

Not an easy question at all. As stated above, lots of variables... What do you want the car to do, what sort of weight distribution on the car, do you have any design constraints, etc?

Also, a well-designed "old-tech" setup (leaf springs for example) can work much better than a poorly designed "better" suspension.

• 2 weeks later...

not really,

Double wishbone is used on racing cars because of the adjustability, favorable negative camber gain under compression, and lack of toe change over the range of suspension travel as compared with other suspensions like semi trailing arms.

Ride comfort is more dependent on reducing vibrations being transmitted to the driver or passengers from the bumps in the road. Comfort is greatly improved with chassis stiffening, sound deadening, new rubber bushings, large sidewalled tires, softer springs, etc...

Every suspension is a compromise of performance, cost and space available. for example, macstruts that are used in the Z are a simple design that is cheap and fits in small areas. good for an inexpensive, small, sporty car. Double wishbones have more parts so they are more expensive to produce and require more space, so you will see them on higher end sportscars.