HybridZ

83 stock Turbo Mods

zxramman

My 83 turbo has not been runing good lately especially at high rpm's. Sometime it would even pop (backfire sounds like from intake). The engine is stock except for a K&N air filter and a 3 inch cat back exhaust with a large flowmaster muffler. I took the car to the shop that installed the exhaust and got it to pass the emisson's test. The owner seems to know his stuff and I have a good feeling regarding his technical expertise. He ran a fuel pressure test and found that the fuel pump was not providing enought pressure at high rpm's in 4 or 5th gear.

They suggested that instead of replacing stock oem pump that I install a higher flow external fuel pump and a adjustable fuel pump regulator. The one recommended would be cable of supporting up to 400 + h.p. for future upgrades.

Once I get it running properly I plan to install an after market boost gauge, boost controller, blow off value, and fuel pressure gauge. I don't plan to run any more boost than perhaps 10 PSI. If this all works out then I will play with the tunning on either a dyno or a g-teck guage.

Any recommendations as to a boost controller and where to install the gauges. I would like to install a A pillar mount for the guages if I can find one for a Z this old

This will be my phase one mods at this point in time. This car is the first turbo Z, my other ones are all N/A. I always wanted a Turbo but had difficulty finding one that I afford and was worth fixing. I am a novice with the turbos so I would appreciate any help

zxramman

All I can say is SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH. All of those mods have been extensively covered here.

With that in mind, a few words. If indeed your fuel pump is on its way out, an aftermarket is a good way to go, often cheaper then a replacement stock. Keep in mind that the pump alone won't give you any more power, it will simply give you headroom for future upgrades. The adjustable FPR isn't needed at 10psi (AFAIK, someone correct me if I'm wrong), as it's considered the safe thing to run with an otherwise stock car w/o intercooler.

For a wide-band O2 sensor, check out the Innovative LC-1, for 200$, it simply cannot be beat. The popular fuel pump around here seems to be the Walbro (SP?) 255.

Congradulations on your purchase, and welcome to HybridZ!

Upgrade the pump, but forget the regulator. You can a walbro 255 for around $100 last I checked and is a good pump. Some people complain it's a little noisy, but I felt like it was about the same as the stock pump. Until you start going with a stndaone engine management or larger injectors, you don't need a fuel pressure regulator (unless it is failing as well).