HybridZ

Newb saying howdy

Hi all, new to forum, just saying howdy.

Had a quick ? for ya. I have a 350Z and was toying with the idea of a swap. Any thought towards an LS1 swap? I tend to be road course oriented and was thinking with the power/torque/rev range of an LS1, it might be just as cheep to do a swap then to try and get ~325 RWHP NA out of the VQ.

Guest TeamNissan

Welcome to the forum.

Getting 325 rwhp n/a out of a vq is actualy not too expensive at all.

Really cant go wrong with a ls1 but it will def be much more expensive then to just stay vq. For 325 wrhp anyway.

It was just an idea. I'm sitting with about 86k miles on it now. I was planning on pulling it at 100k. I was just pricing parts, Cosworth heads, Crawford Grind cams, built bottom end. Just wandering what the trade offs would be.

The Cosworth heads are good up to 10.5k RPM, I don't know if I could trust someone to build a bottom end to twist that much. Cosworth is selling a short block, that I assume will twist all that their heads can do. All said and done is around $13k without labor. I know I could build less, but wouldn't sound like a banshee twisting like that? I could probably have the heads done and the block block bored 0.020 over and get there just as quick.

I was just siffing to see if anyone had already laid ground work for a V8 swap,and if so, what the bottom line was looking like.

It was just an idea. I'm sitting with about 86k miles on it now. I was planning on pulling it at 100k. I was just pricing parts, Cosworth heads, Crawford Grind cams, built bottom end. Just wandering what the trade offs would be.

The Cosworth heads are good up to 10.5k RPM, I don't know if I could trust someone to build a bottom end to twist that much. Cosworth is selling a short block, that I assume will twist all that their heads can do. All said and done is around $13k without labor. I know I could build less, but wouldn't sound like a banshee twisting like that? I could probably have the heads done and the block block bored 0.020 over and get there just as quick.

I was just siffing to see if anyone had already laid ground work for a V8 swap,and if so, what the bottom line was looking like.

That seems way overbuilt for 325rwhp. However an LS1 swap won't be much cheaper, depending on year LSx/T56 setups can go for around 6k sometimes less depeding on condition etc. Then you have all sorts of other small parts that add up quickly if you can't do the work yourself, motor mounts, transmission, exhaust, headers, wiring, driveshaft, ecu tuning. If you want it to revv high well the you're talking a lot of enging work as well, crankshaft, rods, pistons, cams, rockers, heads or headwork, intake, all sorts of small things that aren't cheap to do on an LSx either.

I don't know exact weights but since you said you wanted to do road course I would ASSume that the LS1 might add more weight to the front of the car. It seems like a fair amount of work for 325rwhp when you can do other things for less to make it better on a road course. So imo stick with the VQ do the best you can to make it lighter and make the 350z handle better.

Tyson

• Administrators

An Ls-x in a 350-Z? HELLS YEAH!!!! I say go for it! Granted, depending on how anal you are with parts and details, up to 350 WHP, the VQ should be less expensive, but with the LS-x, if in the future lets say you add a cam, heads, maybe even unnatural aspiration of some sort, the LS-x, will deliver more HP per dollar, and the thought of a real world 500-700 “drivable” HP to the WHEELS in a 350-Z would be AWESOME!!!!

As for the weight issue, The VQ is not a light engine and its CG is definitely higher than the LS-x. My guess would be around a 50 pound difference either way between the LS-x and VQ35DE, worst case.

Of course, when we weighed the LS-1 against a traditional SBC, our scales were shown to be wholly inaccurate, so…. :icon45:

325 RWHP is what I think the extent on the VQ is on pump gas, naturaly asperated. I'm still 15k away and just testing the waters. I think bang for the buck, if I were looking for massive HP, the LS1 is the way to go, it is much more responsive to modification than the VQ has ever shown to be. I just left a Lightning just over a year ago that I was tracking. I'm used to high torque high horsepower. AS for the additional weight of the V8, I'm sure it can be compensated for some how, hell if I went on a diet and got back down to my pre-marriage weight, that could count for half of the difference, easy.

When I build something it will be nice, high end. I'de rather put the bucks up front and have a reliable ride then have to continually hemorage cash to it.

Keep the comments coming.

OK, I've got friends that are running 11:1 and 11.5:1 bottoms, ported heads, 10.5mm lift cams wigh HIGH duration cams, tuned and struggling to get 300-325. Doug Stewart is running the same cams on hogged heads, stock bottom, tuned with an real 292 RWHP. THe HP rating is Dyno specific I know. I just don't see how much more can be done, assuming the standard off the shelf stuff, headers, plenum, CAI, Tuner, cams, head work, higher compression. I've got over a grand sitting in a one off 78mm billet alimunim throttle body, that mated to hogged out Crawford plenum that made a whopping 11HP. People can keep trying to make stuff, but there is only so much chicken salad that can be made from Chicken manure, IMO.

I'm not saying that the VQ is a hunk of junk, on the contrary, it is a good motor, I am simply polling the difference of building a 'budget' VQ, Cosworth VQ, or swaping to a V8. Please ignore the HP targat I have set, just talking bang for the buck. I don't think the VQ will take boost, at least for long term.

Guest TeamNissan

The vq can take boost up to about 450hp and that is a viable option but bang for buck its ls-x all the way. I mean you can get a ls1 swap with a supercharger for under 13k. Thats like 550hp right there lol.