HybridZ

r32 rb26 speedometer

rb26z31

hello, first post...lol...I am building a z31 from the ground up and I am just compiling parts right now, I purchased a autometer 3 3/8" mechanical phantom speedometer, and I was wondeing if the r32 gtr rb26's speedometer is ran off an cable or it is electric, because i already got the gauge and it has a probe in the back for a cable, and I need to know so I can send it back and get the electric one..thanks in advance...:mrgreen:

What year is your Z31? If it is a 87 or newer turbo manual, you can use your original tranny with a RB front housing bolted on. Then you could use your mechanical speedo with a cable drive. The VSS - Vehicle Speed Sensor will come out of your transmission and you can install a regular speedo drive gear in the hole. Otherwise, most of the RB transmissions use an integrated VSS in the transmission, might be a bit harder to convert over to mechanical drive.

Doug

no it has the analog, I am doing to full custom cluster, I want to use the stock cluster and put the autometer gauges in it, but the depth on the cluster in only like 2 1/2" so it will not work because of the speedo and tach is 3", I want to use the stock one so I can still have my turn signals and warning gauges on the bottom of the cluster, but I will figure something else out...