HybridZ

280Z Fuel Guage in a 240Z

IdahoZ

Good question. I have the exact same guage that I have yet to replace in my 240.

For some reason I thought the fuel guages were compatible, but now that i think about it I am not sure how I know that.

If someone doesn't know off the top of their head, then I am pretty sure the factory manuals give the resistance range of the guages for each year.

I can't say for sure either, but I seem to recall out of the my deep memory banks that they are the same as well. A narrow band ohm meter is all a fuel gauge really is anyway. You won't hurt anything if you just hook it up, worst that will happen is you get a wrong reading. If you know the range of the vehicle from full you can figure it out. Fill it up, see if it reads full, then put miles on it similar to the range of the car. See if if shows empty or close to it. If it does, don't worry about it, no fuel gauges are 100% acurate anyway. As long as it gives you some sort of reference that "YOU" know roughly how much gas you have left.

Well, I decided not to chance it and took the extra time to modify the backing board on the 240Z fuel gauge so it would clear the lamp in the 280Z housing (lamp is in the center of the can on the 208 models vs. off to the side on the 240). This way I can use my original 240Z fuel gauge and the 280Z volt meter in the same housing. I will need to use both the fuel and volt meter face places from the 280Z but I am making my own custom white face plates anyway so they will all look the same and will match my Auto Meter tach and speedo. I'll have to post some photos when I get them all installed.

Thanks for your input.