HybridZ

Tractor Enamel OK?

Guest z_racer

Guest z_racer

Hey im getting ready to paint my 79 zx. i recently noticed how cheap tractor enamel is($20/gallon) at the local Bomgars. Is this stuff ok to use on my z? I dont need show car paint but i dont want any thing flat or boring.

You pay for what you get in automotive paint......If you want a twenty dollar paint job that someone like me would double charge you to go back and correct it, go at it..I always tell people you should put a fifth the total cost of what your cars worth when complete into the paint and body...It works out pretty good if you look at it like that...

• 2 weeks later...

Tractor enamel is just that...tractor enamel. I've seen some low budget guys do some good things with it, but the problem you'll run into is that it tends to chalk up and fade in a relatively short amount of time if in the sun a lot. It can look really nice if its wet sanded and polished! If you have the money, I suggest going another route tho. You'll be happier in the long run.

Don't do it! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I can't say that any harder. I have done it and it WILL have a sucky result overall, so your time in preparation, etc. is just going to be a waste. I would only use that stuff on 1) a tractor or 2) a demolition derby car that I wanted to be all 1 color. Seriously.