HybridZ

L6 engine trouble in 260Z, fouling/spluttering motor, HELP!

Guest Aussie-Marco260Z

Guest Aussie-Marco260Z

Greetings all.

As you may see I'm both new here, and from Australia. Now I'm fortunate that my dad has kept his 1976 2+2 Datsun 260Z, as a kid I used to drive it around everywhere (I grew up on a farm) and I have very good memories of being behind the wheel of this simply beutiful car. As I've got older tho, I've had less and less joy out of it, after dad got the 'Holden Commodore' when I was born (1988) and then the Toyota Landcruiser as myself and my sister went to boarding school, the Z fell more and more into disuse. When I used to return for holidays I made it a nearly top priority to fire the old girl up and ticking over, however, as I said, I'm getting less and less joy from it as her condition deteriorates significantly.

I am aware that the motor needs a rebuilt, as opposed to ridding the ignition of points, and converting to injection from carbies, the engine is still largely stock. After 30 odd years and 360,000 odd kilometers, she's a tierd girl and inevitably in need of a rebuild. However, for a few years the motor has had this fouling out problem that has had me cursing for a couple of years. A while ago, it would fluff out at 5 grand, later, 4 grand, and now, I can barely get her into third.

As I've got older and more knowledgeable about cars and stuff, I've been able to try some different things. In the last few days, dad and I managed for a day and a half, between other jobs, to give the old girl some attention, he drove for the first time in years, and reckons that the current fouling problem couldn't possibly be brought on by shagged oil/pistons rings, he said "Bad rings will cause it to foul, but not this bloody bad, this is ridiculous, I reckon it must be the ignition". Now my dad has done lots of mechanical stuff since he's been farming for the greater part of 45 odd years.

Hence I removed the spark-plugs from the L6 motor and gave em a clean with some petrol and a wire brush, then I snatched a 12V coil from an old Chevy motor we used to use and a generator, and I also used my spark plug leads from my Holden Commodore (Which is now my car!:-D). With all the leads in correct firing order, we fired her up, and to no avail, in fact, both my dad and I think it is worse than before.

We used and Ohms meter to check the conductivity of the old leads, and there was very poor conductivity, but then, why wouldn't me 'near' identical leads resolve the problem, new coil? Made no difference, in fact, why would it make it worse? I can't order a rebuild as it isn't my car, but I love it, my current car will require some serious surgeory soon and the Z may be my 'bail' car, and quite conveiniantly too (As I LOVE the Z!). Anyways, I'm bloody stumped and I'm nearly outta ideas (aside from a full rebuild).

Since I'm new to the turf here, I'll take a quick sec to say g'day to everyone here!

Help an Aussie guys!

Cheers!

Marco.

Links to what a VL commodore is for the majority of 'non' Aussie members:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_VL_Commodore

http://www.answers.com/topic/holden-vl-commodore

I think it would be best if you went ahead to repalce all the easy to replace tune up parts, cap, sparkplugs fuel filter etc. Then jsut try to use elimination, to possibly find the problem. My car was doing something similar and the problem was that the condensor wire wasnt plugged in. its right above the coil. Hope you get it running.

Guest Aussie-Marco260Z

Well the timing was for some reason, set to fully retarded on the dizzy. We turned it a few degrees and it made little difference. However, we managed to get the old girl to town and the mechanic reckons that he'll have it ready in a week. Thanks for your suggestions mate, we passed them onto the mechanic and I'll fill ya in on how things come along. I hope the blue mistress can run strong again.

I do agree tho, it feels and sounds like a weak spark, some ignition fault neither me or my dad could nail..