HybridZ

Look, will these injectors fit?

cygnusx1

Well, I have two intake manifolds, both on motors, so I could send one out for cutting. I will have to take out the tools and the vernier caliper and start measuring. They look similar. The "Green Top" Ford Racing injector has a 14mm top o-ring but I am not sure about the bottom one. I read somewhere that Bosch uses the same dimensions under the solenoid body for all their top feeds....that info is probably wrong though.

gearheadstik, do your injectors look like this:

0280155968GreenGiant_4.jpg

These are the "other" 42# injectors from Ford "green giants" and look like 14mm on both ends.

BRAAP, are you here? I measured the Ford "Green Top" 42# injector and in all diameters, it measures the same as the stock 280ZX injectors. There are a few dimensions along the length of the injectors that differ but not by much. The only question I have and you probably know this off the top of you head "no pun intended", what is the bore for the pintle and cap-square-o-ring OD for the stock L28 intake manifold.

Basically what is the ID of the injector hole where the pintle cap and seal sit? From all my guestimating, it should be 14mm.

The "green top" ford racing 42# injector is 14mm o-rings at top and bottom.

Thanks,

Dave

Yes, but blue and have different plug shape w side clip...I think they are 38lb but everyone says they flow 42 at correct fuel pressure...I bought eight almost new for 175.00. Now I just have to change my harness inj plugs..

Well, I have two intake manifolds, both on motors, so I could send one out for cutting. I will have to take out the tools and the vernier caliper and start measuring. They look similar. The "Green Top" Ford Racing injector has a 14mm top o-ring but I am not sure about the bottom one. I read somewhere that Bosch uses the same dimensions under the solenoid body for all their top feeds....that info is probably wrong though.

gearheadstik, do your injectors look like this:

0280155968GreenGiant_4.jpg

These are the "other" 42# injectors from Ford "green giants" and look like 14mm on both ends.

• Administrators

Well, there is good news and bad news.

First the good news. The square Nissan O-ring is 14mm.

Now the bad news. That good news does you absolutely no good in regards to using the modern O-ring style injector, such as pictured. Sorry.

I have modified a few N-42 manifolds and built fuel rails for use with those injectors, (gearheadstik has my personal custom N-42 intake and fuel rail which will accept those green injectors perfectly!) The counter bore in the stock intake manifold is not deep enough to allow the 14mm round O-ring to seal within the 14mm bore of the manifold. The injector bottoms out before the O-ring gets into the bore…

In short, the manifold needs to be “machined”, (bored/reamed) for the 14mm O-ring style injectors. You can’t just “drill” them out as that O-ring has to make an air tight seal or you will have a vacuum/boost leak in that cylinder if that O-ring isn’t sealing.

This thread covers what is involved in converting the manifold over to accept O-ring injectors with lots of pics as well, including pics of gearheadstiks nice N-42 intake. ...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=115392

In this picture, you can sorta make out the difference in the injector holes.

Intake2Medium.jpg

OK that makes perfect sense. I have some machining experience and I think I can handle this job. I just need to line-up and continue the 14mm c-bore (ream) right on through...or to the correct depth...not a big deal. Looks like a good opportunity to do some port cleanup and matching also. When I can get the car out of the snow-burial, I will start working on it.

I wonder if I can mod the plastic pintle cap on the "green top" injector instead. If I grind off some of the plastic flange, it might fit down in the through hole and allow the o-ring to seat.....hmm.

BRAAP thanks for the reply and I do understand the concern for leakage at that seal point.