HybridZ

280ZX caliper

I can now make use of my new camera! smile.gif I am rebuilding the 280ZX calipers and have taken one apart. The piston looks like it should go all the way into the body of the caliper, but mine sticks out about 3/8". Is this right? I haven't taken the other one apart yet to compare, just thought it would be neat to use a visual along with my ramblings. Check it out here caliper . It's the top picture. To bad each picture doesn't have it's own address. If it did, then I could post pictures on here, instead of making you guys follow a link.

!M!

"I have put a rather large C clamp on it with no movement whatsoever, it will not go any farther in."

Matt, are you aware that rear ZX caliper pistons need to be 'screwed' back in? They have to be rotated back in.......you can use large pliers carefully placed (fencing are great), a robertson screwdriver in one of the notches for leverage, or buy a proper caliper tool to turn them back in as I have.....I've done all methods and for only one pair large pliers or the Robertson (#2 AIR) works fine. But I'm turning in all my pistons for my rear brake sales to save customers that hassle. It's nice to just install calipers and pads and skip the whole piston reset.

Ross,

The piston IS screwed all the way in. I have used pliers on them to get it nice and tight. I do have a proper tool for the pistons to be pushed in, but it doesn't work very well, kind of a cheap one. So I resorted to the C clamp, which has worked many times with brake jobs before. Is the piston supposed to be out that far? When it is all assembled the rotor will fit in between the two brand new pads, like everything is fine, but I would still like to know if there is something wrong with the caliper itself. You call it "piston reset", is there something I should be doing, other than putting it back together the way I took it apart :confused: ? I need these brakes to work the first time I put them back on the car. I'm not supposed to be working on my car in the old folks home, where I keep my car nono.gif .

!M!

Guest greimann

My bad on the first post, I assumed it was a front caliper. bonk.gif According to the pictures in the Haynes manual, it looks like the rear does stick out a bit to expose the seal groove and the screwy downey slots. Once you put the seal on, it will look right, and since it fits, you should be in the clear.

Looking at the piston and piston wall, I see signs of it binding inside, should I try honing it out to make it any better? I have lubed it up pretty good, but no go. Any ideas? I have put a rather large C clamp on it with no movement whatsoever, it will not go any farther in.

!M!