HybridZ

Header Primary lengths?

s3079893

Hi everyone,

I'm at the stage where i'm about to build the header pipes and i was just wondering what header pipe lengths i should go with.

I'm running a 5.0L with flowing heads and intake etc... and i'm planing on using 1 3/4 inch primaries. i want my power in the 3000- 6000 range

Cheers

Only an opinion, but I believe you'll need a little more flow or rpm to make full use of the 1.75" tubes. I run mine occationally to 8000, and the 1.75" tubes I have are most likely too large for my 289 as it sits. I plan on the same header tubes for the 351w in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

I cant verify the effectivenss of these equations as I do not have the resources to test them, but everytime I come across this issue in a book the same formulas are thrown out at the reader.

The formulas and the approach are as follows:

If your vehicle's set up neither limits the length nor diameter required then use the following formulas working length first:

Length = ((850x (360 - Exh.Vlv Opening) / Peak RPM)) - 3

Diameter = (SQRT.((Block Displ. / #of cylinders x 16.387 / (Length +3) x25)) x 2.1

If your vehicle set up does restrict either the header length or tube diameter then use the forumulas below starting w/the known variable which is not the restriction:

Diameter = SQRT((Displ x 1900) / (Primary Tube Length x Max RPM))

Length = ((Displacement x 1900) / (Diameter^2 x Max RPM))

*NOTE: The articles are always vague regarding the previous two formula's reference to "displacement". Play w/the formula both ways, once w/cylinder displacement and once w/block displacement to see which answer makes sense.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)