HybridZ

what twin turbos should I run

rdsk8ter

Ok I talked to a buddy of mine he said to run twin t-3 super 60s but then he said he knows someone selling a set of Holset turbos that are comparable. Any one ever delt with these? OK a little history the engine is going to be a tt sbc 383 fully forged 4340 cromoly( I think thats the number and the spelling forgive me if its not). This car is going to be a drag and weekend warrior not daily driver. (no my car wont be dressed in drag lol) Im looking for around 500rwhp. I have posted and kinda started this conversation but I figure this way I can get all of your oppinions about what to run because the first one was titled "intercooler for twin turbo". Before you ask I will get all the specs monday he ended up not working sat like he said he would (cant blame him one bit). Also I would like to be full boost around 2500rpm or close there to and I ideally want to run 20psi (yes I know I'm all over the charts but 20psi will be fine). While Ive got your attention whats wrong with the built in waste gates? I see they are way cheaper I know theres a reason but I just would like to understand this better. Thanks for your time I am very very confused and have spent around 5 hours today trying to find anwsers. I cant find any good sources I trust. But I do trust all you folks so if you dont mind hit me with your wisdom.

Also I would like to be full boost around 2500rpm or close there to and I ideally want to run 20psi (yes I know I'm all over the charts but 20psi will be fine).

It sounds like you still don't know exactly what you want in turbo engine performance. Take your time and decide how much power you really want and what you can actually use.

With my 16 year old Rajay turbos at 17 psi, 383 chevy, no intercooler, no wastegates, through the mufflers, I ran 145 mph in the quarter, on a hot day. That equates out to 701 rear wheel hp in my Z(2950 pounds).

T3's are too small for your engine unless you want to be under boost at 1500 rpm. T04 B's would be a better choice. Go to Turbonetics web site where you will find many compressor maps to help you decide what turbo is best for your needs.

Also Tim240z has a set of GarrettT04B's available, never used, but you might not want them because they are rated at 1000 hp and you want much less.:burnout:

I once decided to increase my max boost to see how much power these old Rajays could make. I exchanged my 80 A/R turbine housings with much smaller 60 housings. I made 30 psi boost for a brief moment until my fuel pump gave up and my rear tires turned liquid. With just that change.

Turbomustangs.com is also a good V8 turbo tech source for all types of engines.

Hanns