HybridZ

81 5 speed transmission whines after rebuild

EZ-E

Had a complete rebuild on the transmission, and now it whines, kind of sounds like a supercharger driving down the road.

The transmission shifts wonderfully, into each gear without fail, no slop in the shifter, engaging perfectly it seems but it just has this whine.

Can anyone elaborate as to what might be happening?

Id appreciate any input.

Give Roger at the Z barn a call. He really really knows his 5 speeds. He's in Tenn so call during business hours EST (can't tell where you are located)

800-247-2793 If you get a machine, leave a number (he gets really busy but will call you back)

All the FS5W71B transmissions I've had in my cars have whined a little bit in 3rd gear, before and after I rebuilt them. The latest rebuild has an irritating high pitched whine in 5th too. I never ran it before the rebuild to know if the problem was due to a mistake I made or if the problem was there before I started.

From what I "think" I understand, high pitched whine is usually caused by improper meshing of the gears. Gear lash refers to the play between the gear teeth and is usually adjusted using different size shims. I followed the FSM for measuring everything and didn't find anything out of spec.

The ZX FSM is fairly decent at describing how to tear down, inspect and assemble the tranny, but I sure would like more detailed info on on how to ensure the thing is going to work flawlessly.

Any more suggestions on what to check for?