HybridZ

Ferrea Components for LS2 240Z

My 240 project with the LS2 has a long ways to go.

But... I happen to have a set 18 of Ferrea S10006 Valve springs and 18 E11076 Titanuim retainers.

Specs:

S10006 Valve Springs, Dual with Damper 1430 135/285

E11076 Ti Retainers 10deg ALL 1440 x 1065 x .7 Dbl Spring

I was going to use these on a 9 cylinder engine project (hence 18), but since discovered they won't work.

My question for an engine person... could I use these in the future on my LS2 or are they totally wrong size?

Before I return or sell them (a hassle), I wondered if I can use them later.

Tj

The LS motors use a beehive shaped valve spring, not the conventional type. Those are almost a 1.5" OD spring, and I doubt that there is enough room in the head to machine the spring seats out to accept these larger diameter springs Also, I'm not sure what stock seat pressures are on the LS2 springs, but 285 open seat pressure at .550 lift isn't a whole hell of a lot. The stock cam I beleive is about .500" lift, which would be 272.5 lbs of seat pressure with the valve open. I don't know if thats enough. If you look at the Ferrea catalog, you'll see that the lightest springs they make for the LS engines has 320lbs of seat pressure @.550 lift, and the more aggressive springs are 470lbs @ .600 lift. I run 230lbs of seat pressure with the valve closed, and about 600lbs at .680" (not an LS motor though). I don't think you'd be gaining anything over stock springs with those Ferrea springs, if you can make them fit. They are probably not any stronger, maybe even weaker than the OEM springs....If you are using an aftermarket cam, see what the cam card specs out for open and closed seat pressures, and get the correct springs that satisfy both the open and closed pressures called out by the cam manufacturer.