HybridZ

Wheel Alternatives for the Z

While I was at my local Les Schwab tire dealer looking for new tires for the family van, I noticed a brand of wheels called Bogart Racing Wheels. The store manager told me they are the rage of the import crowd locally for drag racing, so after a little web search, I found their site and discovered that they make all sorts of billet wheels in any size, back spacing and bolt pattern. These wheels maybe an affordable alternative for the Z. Their web site is www.bogartracingwheels.com/

Mark 2thumbs.gif

Their road racing wheels look pretty darn good. I'm wondering what a 'custom' offset price would be. Either of these would be my choice.

ls6-3pc.gif

rr10-17-inch.gif

I think they look pretty darn cool. I wonder if they can hold up to the rigors of street driving? I'd hate to take one out while hitting a pothole.

Davy

I don't know why their wheels are not "DOT" approved? They do appear to be a small company and from what I've heard, getting the government's seal of approval on anything requires spending some serious coin. The manager at Les Schwab said that Bogart Racing makes their wheels on a "per-order" basis. I did personally see their P1 Billet Series "Drag-on Fly Star" wheel and was impressed with the quality of workmanship. The wheel appeared "Beefy", yet surprizingly lite! The center section is made from 6061 T6 Billet Aluminum. I will contact Bogart Racing Wheels next week for more info.

Mark

yes DOT costs money, you dont actually test the rim but pay for a company to sign off on them that they meet dot guidelines AFAIK. most small companies just figure skip it.

as for racing lite weight is a HUGE deal, that rotational weight makes a car alot slower as it goes up.

i have the top set of bogarts pictured on my race car. nice and lite, 8 lbs for a 7" rim

Guest JAMIE T

My brother had Bogart Drag-Star billet wheels on his Street Outlaw Mustang. They are very light, and nice quality, but not DOT approved. I don't think you would get in any trouble if you ran them on the street, how would anyone know?

I'd be careful assuming they would hold up. I've talked to a few people who have run some of the Centerline wheels that are not DOT approved and were meant for racing only. Sure enough, they found cracks in the wheels after awhile! I would think that a wheel company would want to sell their wheels to as large an audience as possible - especially if their wheels are becoming popular. If they don't have a DOT rating on them I'd have to ask myself "why not?"...

Mike, since you have a set on your car, do you think they would be up to the street??? Any idea?

I somehow think John Coffey would say not to do this, but he owns some different brand of racing wheel.

Davy