HybridZ

4L60E interchangeable?

TheNeedForZ

I just bought an LS1 on eBay, the engine is from a 98 Camaro with just over 100K miles. I want to use 4L60E auto trans so here's the question : will 4L60E from other vehicles fit right on the LS1? Do I have to worry about the bolt pattern of different bellhousing and what not?

Thanks

Yeah, that's what I gathered. But most LS1+auto sells for 3000$ and I paid for my engine 2000$. That means the extra 1000$ is for the trans. Since I can find a 4L60E locally for like 450$, I can save some money/shipping. What you said is true though, the best way to go is to get a complete set.

The LS1's are because of the aluminum block, 5.7 displacement, car intake, etc.

The 5.3 liter truck engines can be had relatively cheap, I can get them for $500 for a pullout motor (no harness, computer, but with intake, accessories, manifolds)

I can buy the 5.3's with a 4L60e for about $1500-1700 and all the parts needed to do a conversion.

Just a bit more for the 6.0L truck motors. I got a 6.0L and 4L80E for $1950 plus tax a couple of weeks ago. It's going in a customer's '69 Firebird.

jakeshoe pretty much summed it up, in fact, this morning a 5.3 + 4L60E went for 1500$(or was it cheaper than that, I forgot) on eBay.

The prices on 5.3 and 6.0 iron block engines seems to be reasonable AT FIRST, but you have to buy F-body oil pan(200$ + ship) to get more ground clearance for S30 Z. The trucks stock intake will not let the S30Z hood close, must use passenger car intake(200$ + ship). If the truck engine comes with iron heads, then add yet another 250$+ship for al heads.

If you go for the 6.0 engine, the effect of extra displacement and extra weight pretty much cancels out each another(5% increase of displacement compared to 5.7 while the extra 70lb of weight factors into about 3% increase in vehicle weight). Going 5.3 is cheaper but in the end you get a heavier engine than the LS1 and less displacement.