HybridZ

15/16" master cylinder install question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just installed a 1980 15/16" master cylinder on my 1971 240. Stock 240 vacuum booster.

I'm using Toyota calipers up front, have everything bled properly, the rear shoes adjusted, and the brake pedal linkage screwed all the way out.

But my pedal goes almost to the floor before the brakes engage.

I've heard that you may need to replace the u-shaped linkage on the brake pedal with a longer ZX version. But I picked up a '82 one at the junkyard, and it's the same length as the 240 one.

Any ideas? Anyone run into this problem?

I swapped in an '81 ZX MC and a '7?+ Z brake booster at the same time and had no problem. The "nose" on the plunger from the brake booster was a lot longer than the one on the '71 tiny-booster I replaced. The "socket" in the back of the ZX booster was deeper, too, so it all worked out. So I'd say you either need a later booster with the longer nose or you could try to install a new nose on your existing booster. When I tried that I broke the damn threaded end the nose screws onto, some kinda weird locking thread.

I just bought a 71 240z with the stock braking system(discs up front, drums in the back). I want to upgrade to a better setup in the front and disk brakes in the back. I have a 79 280ZX that I am going to get rid of. The 280ZX is generally in good condition and I changed the interior from the stock red interior to a black interior. The red interior was really damaged and the one I was putting in looks really good. Can I use any of the braking system on this car to put in my 240Z or should I just sell it and buy different brake components. I will part the out if I decide to use parts from it or will i get more money for it if I just sell it. I originally paid $900 bucks for the 280ZX and have invested like $300.

The 240Z has a 280 block, E88 head and triple SK carbs, 5speed tranny and a 4.11 diff. It puts out about 210hp at the crank. I am going to keep this setup on the car so I need better stopping power.

Thanks,

Marcos